Original topic:

Dolby Vision via firmware update for existing monitors

(Topic created: 11-07-2021 06:16 PM)
NickFirzen
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello,

I was wondering if it would be possible/have you considered to calibrate/support/certificate 2020/2021 model monitors and tvs for Dolby Vision via firmware update as we are seeing some other brands dling so, after  the fact these products already are released without it?

I am even willing to pay for firmware feature updates (firmware dlcs?) AFTER previous problems would be fixed of course.

Mainly talking about the Odyssey Neo G9, that I have, Dolby Vision support would be nice for it and I am sure the panel could handle, once it will be further polished that is...

Thinking about it more, what features would be possible to add? I know it would be very model specific and requires much more calibration and quality check, but I am also curious what the community could image we feature may get via firmware update...

Smart tv hub would be great to have possibly with an aspect ratio correction ai that would stick the picture's height horizontally to the top and bottom of the screen as it displays other aspect ratio content without cropping off actual content and only having blackbars on the sides... although for that obviously most models may not have powerful enough soc physicly installed... Anyways I'd need that idea as firmware option for example other than DV...

And I wonder if we could use the two HDMI source as it would be for side by side picture by picture mode from two sources, BUT from one, that way monitor may use uncrompressed full resolution/hz...

More Hz option as well? (Neo G9 has 60/120/240)

More movie color option, man, that'd be great if as HDR, creators could store desired monitor/tv color calibration meta data in movies', possibly even more, and we could change on screen to director's "filter", black&white etc... until then probably just few more presets on monitor...

Mini LED control fully handleld by pc's videocard like G-Sync? That'd be revolutionary and quite possibly better control by zones/leds than monitors'... Possibly we could give even more control over to computers rather than monitor's firmware/chip to handle, that may lessen input and or response time wouldn't it?

Thank you.

So what do you think what could we get?/What would you like that may be doable via software updates?

Consider Dolby Vision please at least for Neo G9...🤓

PS: imagine if it turned out that all screen could emite sound without speakers all along like some Samsung tvs and we could unlock this/what else via firmware patches?

0 Likes
4 Replies
SamsungStephanie
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello there, Thank you for your interest in sharing your idea with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback,  ideas, and requests. We encourage you to continue to share within Community and again would like to thank you for sharing in the Samsung Community. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Miss101
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
Nick that was truly a very great idea who is the question directed to may I ask that ???
NickFirzen
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thank you.

To Samsung as an idea/request, and to the community on what new feature would you like to get for monitors/tvs that may be possible to add as a firmware update... 

For me first and foremost alternate HDR modes like Dolby Vision would be the top and most possible I believe, I'd like mine to have that.

What would you like? Could be simply monitor's on screen display update too if you miss something...

Like bigger transparent hz display on the upper roght corner instead of mine's small number on a big non trasparent osd...

🙂

0 Likes
Miss101
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
Wow Samsung Stephanie thank you very much