Original topic:

EVO 970 Plus wayy slower than expected

(Topic created: 12-23-2020 05:53 PM)
userkJfIavc15M
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi guys,

I've just purchased a EVO 970 Plus 1TB but I can't get it to read or write beyond a 1/3 of the advertised speeds. (See images below) 1000 read or write is the best I can get, but normally it comes back less than 500MB/s read or write.

I've noticed other people in this forum getting better results. I've tried everything I can think of but this is about what all I get. I upgraded from a 770 EVO Sata SSD (500GB) and honestly only notice a few seconds faster loading times max. I mostly upgraded for the extra disk space but was hoping for a noticeable speed boost too.

I have installed the drivers and actually got the best results from disabling the SATA controller through my BIOS. I can't configure anything about the M.2 port in BIOS, it just comes up with the name of the drive and that's it.

Anything else I should try?

PC specs:
Intel i5-10600kf
Asus Z490 Gaming 4 motherboard
32GB RAM 3200
AMD FX570.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

Screenshot 2020-12-24 124354.png

Screenshot 2020-12-24 124432.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userkJfIavc15M
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Fixed it!
I did a repair install of Windows. https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 Suddenly we're all good. Whole PC feels very zippy now. Screenshot 2020-12-26 024117.png
I have the old drive in too, you can see the comparison.

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 Replies
userkJfIavc15M
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I realise that Windows was indexing in the background. I'll run another test after it's done and see if the results change . 

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Does it perform the same in the other M.2 slot?

0 Likes
userkJfIavc15M
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

There is only one M.2 slot on this motherboard for storage on this motherboard unless I'm missing something. It plugs in sideways and is secured by a screw. The other M.2 slot is for Wifi modules.

I did another test after indexing finished. No noticable change. Performance Benchmark_20201225.png

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Solution
userkJfIavc15M
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Fixed it!
I did a repair install of Windows. https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 Suddenly we're all good. Whole PC feels very zippy now. Screenshot 2020-12-26 024117.png
I have the old drive in too, you can see the comparison.

View solution in context

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Ahhh, you identified the motherboard as an ASUS Z490 when in fact it was an ASROCK Z490.

Hence the M.2 confusion.

0 Likes