cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

EVO 970 plus only uses PCIe gen 1 x 2 and has very slow read/write speed. HELP.

Hello!

I recently bought Samsung 970 Evo plus 250 GB variant NVMe PCIe SSD. I cloned my OS after installation using Samsung migration tool and everything worked fine. On first boot, I check through Magician software and it shows that my SSD uses PCIe gen 1 x 2 interface and not modern interface.

My Read Write Speed is around 1350 MB/s and 1600 MB/s respectively.

Here's the screenshot of Crystal Disk info. Check the fourth row.

crystal disk info - Copy.JPG

My laptop is a HP 15g with Ryzen 5 2500U, Vega 8 graphics, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD.

I have updated BIOS, removed and reinserted SSD multiple times, removed HDD drive and the empty DVD drive, everything. I can see laptops like me in the internet with higher speeds reaching around 3000MB/s. What should I do? Should I install any other software, should I replace the SSD? And another thing is that my dedicated graphics memory increased in size from 256MB to 1 GB after BIOS update, I don't know how. Any help would be really appreaciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Astronaut

Re: EVO 970 plus only uses PCIe gen 1 x 2 and has very slow read/write speed. HELP.

Hi, I have the same issue. My machine (intel 87 chipset) supports  PCIe 3.0 x4 and i just cloned my ssd to a new Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB m.2 nvme. The transfer mode is stuck at PCIe 2.0 x4 and read/write benchmarks are maxing out at 1600/1480 MB/s as well.

I have updated everything that needs updates. Anyway insight would be super.

Nebula

Re: EVO 970 plus only uses PCIe gen 1 x 2 and has very slow read/write speed. HELP.

The Intel z87 chipset is PCIE 2.0 and that is what you are running.

The Ryzen is also at PCIE 2.0 speeds.

Low end laptops do not get high end performance.

Still better than the hard drive.

Constellation

Hey, thanks for the reply. Ryzen 5 2500U chip, which is in my machine, clearly supports PCIE 3.0. You can refer the screenshot I have attached in my original post. Here's the spec sheet from AMD https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-2500u 

PCIe 1.0 must be really old and my laptop should atleast support PCIe gen 2 if not gen 3 but multiple sources confirm that my laptop do support PCIe gen 3. I don't know what causes this bottleneck.

Constellation

@userNK2PLKemWe 

Can you go to the BIOS and check whether you can find anything? Anything like PCIe config?

Nebula

There is the possibility  the m.2 slot is running gen 2  for power saving in the laptop.

Still twice as fast as a Sata SSD.