Original topic:

Fails to update 980 PRO Firmware from Samsung Magician

(Topic created: 01-04-2022 02:10 PM)
WanaGo
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello,

Samsung Magician version 7.0.0, trying to update firmware on Samsung 980 PRO 1TB, system drive, comes up Failed each attempt.

Tried running Magician as Admin, made no difference.

Trying to update from 3B2QGXA7 to 4B2QGXA7 

Had the same problem previously getting to 3B2QGXA7 but I do not remember the work around or what changed to make that end up working.

Windows 10 x64, fully up to date.

The error messages on Magician are not helpful at all as to what is going on.

PC is fully connected to the internet (obviously - as I am typing this now), Windows driver, plenty of free disk space, tried rebooting twice - none of the Bot suggestions are helpful. Drive is fully operational and working as my system drive, just did performance test and diagnostic and its perfect, so why wont the firmware update?

"Failed to update firmware on selected drive."

userMGKwmj9iXB
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Tried to run Magician as Admin and did not make a difference.

0 Likes
usertnF4Y6z6ud
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Eventually download unetbootin or rufus , download firmware iso, make a bootable usb and try to update this way. 

0 Likes
userfksZlRWX8E
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I did get ONE of my two 500gb drives to update via USB firmware update process.

My question is how do I select the other drive to get updated?  It only 'sees' the one drive but I clearly have 2 functional drives.

0 Likes
userzBWjDwFEIN
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

OK I tried this on Monday using the Magician software on Samsung 980 Pro 2TB. The update failed a few times but then appeared to work. Since then I've been having some PC problems. The machine will appear to 'hang' for a few seconds (the mouse/keyboard still works), it's like something gets 'stuck. All benchmarks are as good as with previous firmware. Everything was fine until I did this update. Can I roll back to the previous version? 

I tried re-flashing using the method in the manual (bootable USB) but that fails to boot - do I need to do something to make this work?

0 Likes
userZf5T3dVZ2F
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same issue on version 7.0.1.

0 Likes
userMGKwmj9iXB
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I just put in 2 2 TB 980 Pro SSD into a new HP Laptop running Windows 11. Magician will not work on the drives and displays an error that says "The device is connected to the driver that Magician does not support" Intel Corp 18.6.4.1022. Talked to HP they said this is the latest storage controller from Intel. Also there are no support downloads other than Magician or Migrate on Samsung for this drive. So issue seems to be latest version of Magician is not compatible with 980 Pro

0 Likes
userZnhlBc7gnl
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Having the same problem as you, with my Asus duo laptop. Latest driver is not supported by magician.

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Latest Magician is 7.0.1

0 Likes
userzqJ5YykLfE
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I got the same error on 7.0.1

TheVoodoo
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same here! Magician 7.0.1 , Samsung 980 (non pro) FW update available but fails to start the flashing process.

0 Likes