Original topic:

Fails to update 980 PRO Firmware from Samsung Magician

(Topic created: 01-21-2022 05:45 PM)
WanaGo
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello,

Samsung Magician version 7.0.0, trying to update firmware on Samsung 980 PRO 1TB, system drive, comes up Failed each attempt.

Tried running Magician as Admin, made no difference.

Trying to update from 3B2QGXA7 to 4B2QGXA7 

Had the same problem previously getting to 3B2QGXA7 but I do not remember the work around or what changed to make that end up working.

Windows 10 x64, fully up to date.

The error messages on Magician are not helpful at all as to what is going on.

PC is fully connected to the internet (obviously - as I am typing this now), Windows driver, plenty of free disk space, tried rebooting twice - none of the Bot suggestions are helpful. Drive is fully operational and working as my system drive, just did performance test and diagnostic and its perfect, so why wont the firmware update?

"Failed to update firmware on selected drive."

userRmoA9jIMDz
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

It is obvious that Samsung cannot write software. Bugs everywhere. No Linux/MacOS Magician. ISO boots only on PC and says it doesn't find the 980 Pro. On MacBook the bootable ISO freezes.

0 Likes
serpenthawk
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

V7.0.1 showing no firmware update available but v7.0 does.  Update fails on v7.0

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Updated post to reflect WanaGo's findings...

Magician 7.0.0 does NOT support 980 Pro for most people.

Magician 7.0.1 DOES support 980 Pro for most people.

Magician updates tend to lag behind new drive introductions.  Have patience.

Intel drivers do not play nice with Magician.  Had you bought Intel drives it wouldn't matter.

Revert the Intel drivers to stock Microsoft drivers as Magician plays nicely with them.

Have fun.

PS, I use Microsoft stock drivers.

0 Likes
WanaGo
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Not quite correct Daniel I am sorry.

As per the comments above, I updated fine in the end on 7.0.0, as did other people.

Some people have updated fine with 7.0.1.

It is not clear what the factor is which stops the update working yet, but it does not seem to be directly related to Magician version, as above - I updated fine on 7.0.0, so your statement about 7.0.0 not supporting the 980 Pro is not correct.

There seems to be a factor which has not been fixed, as some people who use 7.0.1 it still does not update correctly, yet I succeeded in the end on 7.0.0 without changing anything specifically, I just attempted it a few days later and whatever factor was stopping it was not stopping it that time. Very strange however.

Nothing to do with 'engaging brains' - what you said is simply not 100% fact.

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Modified my post per your observations.

0 Likes
Options
Monitors and Memory
0 Likes
userZQGj4BFEHa
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

not sure if my answer got posted so here i go again. 

Switched from 970EVO to 980 Pro. Update to 5b something failed. Reinstalled Magician, still got the check for competability warning but the update went through. 

0 Likes
WanaGo
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Another Firmware Update is available (5B2QGXA7), this time I am running Magician 7.0.1, and it still fails.

WanaGo_0-1643438350152.png

"Failed to update firmware on the selected drive"

Same nonsense as before, so out the window goes 7.0.1 as being the 'solution'.

0 Likes
userj5g9SD5zEZ
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I was able to update my 980 Pro that is installed in a Z370 rig running at PCIE gen-3 using Magician v7.01. I ran a Samsung Performance Benchmark after and got slightly lower scores in all 4 tests. I also have a 980 Pro in a Ryzen X570 rig running at PCIE gen-4. I have not updated that one yet and am a bit hesitant to do it. I have not been able to find any details on what this firmware update does. I have read claims that its Windows 11 specific and some people on Win 11 said they saw significant performance increases.

I don't like that there is zero information about the firmware update and there is no going back if you change your mind.

0 Likes
userfUKSjrFlRH
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I also experienced problems attempting to update firmware using Magician 7.0.1 (WIN 11) for a 980 PRO and a 970 EVO PLUS.  to make a long story short, after over a week of trying many ways of doing  it, I turned all security measures back on.  and gave up on the idea. But out of a COMBINATION OF hope and stubbornness, I would try Magician, AS IS  ( with security measures on) and in one of those attempts the firmware took hold, tried the second drive, also took hold and installed, restarting after each install.  So.  be very patient and keep trying until it of they update!