cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darkmatter
Asteroid

Getting random BSOD after cloning Windows 10 Pro 64

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I cloned an 840 EVO 250GB to an 850 EVO 500 GB and everything went fine but now I get random BSOD. The last one said something about kernal security check error which I googled and found out that it could mean corrupt Windows files. I ran a "sfc /scannow" and it found no errors. Any suggestions? The BSOD's are so intermittent and random that it's hard to know whats causing it.

Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nebula

Re: Getting random BSOD after cloning Windows 10 Pro 64

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Darkmatter,

Cloninig in general is not a perfect process. Especially since you are seeing the issue after using different cloning tools, the issue is being caused by something inherently on the source image. It might small and almost unnoticeable on the original image, but upon being copied during the cloning process, it is being affected and showing up on the cloned image. Clean installs are best in these situations as the issue will pop up no matter what cloning software you try to use.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

18 REPLIES 18
Darkmatter
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think I found the problem. I found quite a few instances of Asus GPU Tweaker II crashing. I tried installing a newer version but that BSOD on me mid way through with a warning that the driver wasn't certified or something like that. SO, I turned off driver enforcement and the installer just hung. I tried to uninstall it but even with an Asus uninstall tool it didn't work, so I ended up manually deleting everything I could find.

Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Darkmatter
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Still getting very random BSOD's. Smiley Sad

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Darkmatter,

Have you tried doing a clean install onto the SSD to see if bluescreens still happen?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Darkmatter
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I do have a system image that I also made. Would that have less chance of having errors then cloning?

Thanks.

EDIT: The stuff below is actually whats going on with my older system that I put the 250GB SSD in. I had a brain fart.

This is a clean install. It could be related to 2 OCZ PC2 8500 (5,5,5,15) 1GB ram sticks that I put in after I installed Win10. I have 2 2GB sticks of Corsair RAM I think and they've been fine. I did update the BIOS of the ga-ep45-ud3p motherboard but still couldn't even boot to BIOS with both OCZ sticks in. With 1 in I could usually get into Windows but I would later BSOD with different error messages each time. Right now I'm trying the system with both OCZ sticks out, and just the SSD connected to see if it still BSOD's on me.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Darkmatter,

You said in the first post that you cloned the 840 EVO to the 850 EVO and started getting the blue screens. You tried clean installing the OS onto the 850 EVO and still are getting bluescreens? Also, can you provide a screenshot of the 850 EVO's SMART data in Magician?

Darkmatter
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No sorry, I got mixed up. I put a new install on the 840 EVO that I put into my old computer. Everything on the bottom of my last post refers to my old system. My current system is BSOD and I DID clone the 840 EVO250GB over to the 850 EVO 500GB. So both are BSOD but the one with the 840 EVO might be BSOD because of incompatible RAM, which I have now removed. The 850 EVO I can't give you a screenshot atm since I'm not at home but I'll upload one later.

Thanks

Edit: Added photo.

Edit2: I looked over my Event Viewer and am adding some information from when my computer BSOD'd.

Bug Check: 0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0xfffff8017a7d6e70, 0xffffc0009cc62000, 0xfffff8017880730e)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kernel-Power  Keywords 0x8000400000000002   EventID 41

BugcheckCode 127
  BugcheckParameter1 0x8
  BugcheckParameter2 0xffffc2015e16faf0
  BugcheckParameter3 0xffffc2016188c000
  BugcheckParameter4 0xfffff803605ff30e

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kernel-Power  Keywords 0x8000000000000404  EventID 42  State 2  Reason 6

Kernel-Power  Keywords 0x8000400000000002  EventID 41

BugcheckCode 199
  BugcheckParameter1 0x0
  BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff980c09ecf70
  BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff980c09ecf70
  BugcheckParameter4 0xfffff980c09ecfb0

I know Kernal Power can sometimes mean an interuption in the power supply but I have a UPS.
Photo by Fireflyx76
Explore Fireflyx76's photos on Photobucket.
Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello Darkmatter,

Hardware-wise, the SSD looks like its in perfect shape. SMART shows no errors on the drive.

Can you try a clean install onto the 850 EVO? also, can you try a different PSU?

Darkmatter
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I know the PSU works because I can unplug it and my computer stays on. A clean install would be a big hassle. Would installing the image I made of the old drive be a possible solution if this keeps happening?

Thanks

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Darkmatter,

I would advise to attempt it so we can isolate what could be causing the bluescreens.