cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darkmatter
Asteroid

Re: Getting random BSOD after cloning Windows 10 Pro 64

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I haven't had a chance to try the image yet but I've found 1 clue to 1 problem. Theres something wrong with my USB drivers. When I connect my phone to my computer it BSOD. I tried uninstalling the driver and letting windows find a driver it liked but that didn't fix the problem. Also, when I tried to unmount a WD MyBook I BSOD. I partly figured this out because I usually had my MyBooks attached all the time but for a few days they weren't because I was trying to set up an old system at my mothers house. I noticed that during that time I did not get 1 BSOD. I also didn't connect my phone by USB during that time. I'm considering whether I should completely uninstall all USB related drivers and let windows reinstall them, but I'm not sure if that would make my system more unstable.

Also, my system seems to lag a bit when I do things such as click on the start menu. I'll probably start with the USB drivers and go from there.

On a completely unreleated matter, I should tell you that Outlook flagged your "communitydonotreply@samsung.com" email address and possibly fraudulant. You should talk to Microsoft about getting that resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello Darkmatter,

We really appreciate your feedback, Please let us know what happens next. USB drivers that are corrupt or installed improperly can cause this issue. You can try reinstalling all USB drivers or attempt a clean install of windows in order to try  to solve this issue.

Darkmatter
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

First I'm going to uninstall EVERY driver that has to do with controling USB, even hidden ones. Then I'll let Windows sort out reinstalling them. If that doesn't work or it breaks my system I'll use my repair disk to install the image I made for just this sort of occassion. If the image has the same problems, I guess I'll have no choice but to back up my stuff and do a clean install. I don't look forward to reinstalling all that software though! lol Smiley Happy

I'll keep you informed.

Darkmatter
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK things did not go well for me. Uninstalling the USB drivers got me to a point where I couldn't use my mouse or keyboard. I shutdown my computer using the power button and booted it back up and the drivers were reinstalled but I still BSOD when I used certain USB items. I then tried to use the image I made before I cloned the drive and Windows Repair Disk said the image was damaged and unusable... Is there a way to verify the integrity of a system image? I'd like to know for the future.

In the end I decided to reinstall Windows 10 but keep all of my settings and files. This seems to have fixed the problem as I have used several USB devices that used to BSOD me and now they don't.

It would seem that your cloning software still has some bugs that need to be ironed out. Same with MS Image Backup Utilty. Smiley Sad

BTW the file that was most often mentioned on the BSOD for a "Driver Verification" error was C:\Windows\System32\drivers\volsnap.sys and turning off driver verification didn't stop the BSOD.

I considered trying to find a replacement for just that file but I decided to just bite the bullet and reinstall Windows 10. Hopefully I won't get any more BSOD on this computer. Now I just have to figure out the BSOD problem with my old computer...

Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Darkmatter,

Unfortunately, we do not have another way of testing your system image without actually trying the to boot from the image. Clonning with our software can be a easy process, however if there are any issues with the original OS, issues can be show up after the process. In these cases, we always suggest a clean install instead, to avoid any futrue issues.

Darkmatter
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Trust me when I say this was not an issue the OS had before the clone. After the clone I could 100% of the time create a BSOD by turning on my webcam or by hooking up my phone to USB. Neither of these actions caused a BSOD before the clone.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Darkmatter,

Cloninig in general is not a perfect process. Especially since you are seeing the issue after using different cloning tools, the issue is being caused by something inherently on the source image. It might small and almost unnoticeable on the original image, but upon being copied during the cloning process, it is being affected and showing up on the cloned image. Clean installs are best in these situations as the issue will pop up no matter what cloning software you try to use.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Darkmatter
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Makes sense. Luckly Windows 10 lets you reinstall without having to back-up all your stuff.

Thanks

usercxp0afbfg7
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm using Windows 7 so my suggestion may not apply to your situation but I'll offer it up anyway.

If you are using Intel Rapid Storage Technology open the software and click on the tab for "Performance".  Then, TURN OFF/DISABLE Link Power Management. 

I kept getting BSOD's randomly as well, all of them pointed at a failure of a power management driver and so upon further investigation, and since turning off/disabling Link Power Management, the BSOD's have stopped.

SSD's don't like power management too much.

Good luck!