cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userotuhtFWeud
Asteroid

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Can someone confirm, that the 960 evo has a new firmware that supports eDrive?

Because I read about problems with the firmware 3B6QCXP7 and Samsung said this:
"In worldwide beta testing, this issue didn't appear at all, and I still haven't had it come up on ony of our 960 Pros here. We aren't sure why the freezing is happeneing as the FW update was similar to the 960 EVO update, which all it does is enable e-Drive support on the 960 Pro."

So is the firmware for the 960 evo still online and everything runs fine? And just the 960 pro line has the problems?

Dont understand this.
user7oo71AwtUV
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello userotuhtFWeud,

I am running my 960 EVO on version 3B7QCXE7, which is the newest version available online. This supports eDrive, but, as described by other users here, you cannot enable Bitlocker if it is a boot drive. I do not have freezing issues, but if I remember correctly, only the 960 PRO had them anyway.

Have a nice weekend!

nithinmanne
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Any updates on this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi nithinmanne,

Unforutnately, there is no update or information avaialbe yet, As mentioned previously, if there is an update we will post it here automatically. 

userkOa5EGCvHz
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi

Also having the same issue in I couldn't get it work with a 960 Pro as a boot drive.  Motherboard is an Asus Z270 Prime A latest BIOS, Windows 10 latest version available, TPM version 2.0 showing fully supported in Windows 10, BIOS set to Secure Boot with no boot compatibility modules enabled.  I did a clean secure erase and installed Windows 10 a fresh but it would not enable the eDrive option and would only fall back to software encryption.

Continually have these sorts of issues with Samsung products, they promise a lot but fail to deliver on them all.  The main point of eDrive is that it works seemlessly as a boot drive, Samsung should have tested this and provided information on how to enable it correctly.  I doubt very many people will have these types of drives as secondary drives for storage only, they will be a boot drive.  If Samsung say eDrive is supported then why is no one getting it to work?

Regards

Phil

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello All,

After investigating the HW encryption problems from a compatibility point of view, we found this issue can be only be fixed with a BIOS update by the motherboard manufacturers.
Through technical collaboration with one of the major BIOS chipset companies, we have verified that a new BIOS update of the motherboard BIOS works well with the H/W encryption function in our SSD drives. We will continue to verify the solution with the other BIOS chipset companies.
We expect that the motherboard manufacturers will publicize the information of their BIOS updates for a solution.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
userkOa5EGCvHz
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi

Can we please have some more information?  What exactly is the issue so we can raise this with the manufacturer of the motherboard/computer.

Did Samsung get this to work at all?  If so which hardware is currently working with eDrive and these Samsung SSDs, which hardware have you identifed need a BIOS update.  

Also putting this as solved is incorrect, no one has solved the problem yet, we just have a vague post by Samsung saying its someone elses problem.

This is typical Samsung, nothing concrete, no real answers, no attempt at informing their customers.  Never again will I buy Samsung.

Regards

Phil

healmedonald
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userkOa5EGCvHzwrote:

Hi

Can we please have some more information?  What exactly is the issue so we can raise this with the manufacturer of the motherboard/computer.

Did Samsung get this to work at all?  If so which hardware is currently working with eDrive and these Samsung SSDs, which hardware have you identifed need a BIOS update.  

Also putting this as solved is incorrect, no one has solved the problem yet, we just have a vague post by Samsung saying its someone elses problem.

This is typical Samsung, nothing concrete, no real answers, no attempt at informing their customers.  Never again will I buy Samsung.

Regards

Phil

sounds more like a typical poster on this forum, complain complain complain with an additional dose of zero reading comprehension.

They are literally informing you that they found out the cause and that it has to be solved with BIOS updates and they are going to work with the BIOS companies to fix it.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello userkOa5EGCvHz,

I put it as solved so anyone who clicks on the thread can see the statement immediately.

Yes, we were able to get it to work after working with a major BIOS chipset company and they made a BIOS that works with it. We are going to work with the other BIOS chipset companies about the solution. They then have to push those BIOS updates to the Motherboard Manufacturers.

userDSqEzSwWY3.

This issue requires a BIOS update to fix.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userkOa5EGCvHz
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi

Thank you for your response. 

The trouble is what do I ask Asus technical support to fix?  Why can't the 960 work as is without requiring a BIOS update?  

It would also be really useful to qualify the instructions used to set this up on hardware you tested with the fixed BIOS, i.e. the steps taken to get Windows 10 to enable eDrive, for example how to clean erase and prepare the SSD, and the BIOS settings required.

Currently just by saying it needs a BIOS upate (that many people may never get for their hardware which is another issue), and not saying how long this fix may take, leaves it very open ended and looks like Samsung are just washing their hands of it.

Is a fix available now to the motherboard manufacturers, and if not what time frame?  How could Samsung have validated and tested eDrive in order to release the firmware update if it can't work without a BIOS update?  If I need this feature now, what hardware supports it?

Regards

Phil