cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nithinmanne
Constellation

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So, are we finally going to be getting a solution for this?

CharlesR
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Samsung PM971 SSD, an NVMe drive which comes preinstalled in some newer Surface Pro tablets, supports eDrive. Full Bitlocker hardware encryption of the boot drive is working in Windows 10 using the default Microsoft driver after performing a secure erase and clean-installing Windows.

Therefore it seems there is no limitation in Windows or the driver. Samsung recently added eDrive support to the 960 NVMe SSDs and its driver in version 2.3. However, it appears that additional support is perhaps required in the motherboard's BIOS/system firmware for boot drive functionality. Either that or their eDrive implementation is broken.

What is completely baffling, then, is when Samsung finally added the long-awaited eDrive support in its 960 NVMe SSDs, how did they not test eDrive on a boot drive connected to a variety of test motherboards? Whichever motherboard(s) they did test on may have worked for them, but clearly they did not have a big enough sample size.

The act of adding eDrive support to the 960 PRO and EVO drives was buggy and disastrous, which gives credence to the theory that they really didn't test these updates thoroughly enough.

Now that the PRO firmware has been fixed (still waiting on the EVO fix - yes it was similarly affected despite what Samsung might have you believe), and assuming the firmware "team" now have time to look into this, can we expect to receive a response in the coming months at least?

userfYDIpNhBM5
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hey babe
userqW8vNpR3Zm
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can Samsung please explain why their new model Evo 970 supports eDrive (IEEE1667), according to their Samsung EVO 970 Spec ???

If this is true, I would expect that I can buy that product and my hardware encryption on boot drive is working, without motherboard BIOS update hassle. Then the Samsung experts should explain why the 960 models don't work while the 970 do. If that is the case, then I would demand my 960 to be exchanged by a 970, how about that?

In the meantime I feel really pranked about the problem and the solution proposed.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userqW8vNpR3Zm,

The 960 Pro and Evo do support IEEE1667. The only difference between the 970s and the 960s is that the 960s received IEEE1667 support through FW update, while the 970s have IEEE1667 support from launch.

Once Samsung has finished working with the BIOS chipset companies on the fix, those companies need to work with motherboard manufacturers to get the fix for their boards.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userqW8vNpR3Zm
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungDavewrote:

Hello @userqW8vNpR3Zm,

The 960 Pro and Evo do support IEEE1667. The only difference between the 970s and the 960s is that the 960s received IEEE1667 support through FW update, while the 970s have IEEE1667 support from launch.

I really believe you that it is as simple like that.

But there are things that are careless and nonserios:

• Samsung proposed eDrive support by FW update and months later they've discovered problems with chipset's related parts of BIOS. How many chipset companies are relevant here? And AMD the second important. It is Samsung's duty to test the features they promote. Samsung never tested with AMD chipset boards. If they had, they would have detected a problem. If they had and did nothing about it or published some warning about it, even more nonserios.
  • With the EVO 970 its then the same. There is no disclaimer or warning that eDrive is not fully functional in some cases involving dedicated hardware. And this time Samsung knows about it. But let the people buy their products and wonder why they claim that they don't work.

Eaton
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I agree that Samsung needs to be more transparent about eDrive encryption and the issues surrounding it. I have, unsuccessfully, attempted to use this feature for 4 years on several different Samsung SSDs. I've never had an SSD and hardware combination that let me enable it.

Now it seems like the main issue is finally getting resolved, but we need more transparency!

Samsung, please post a list of motherboard manufacturers you can confirm have the fix. Motherboard BIOS manufacturers post changelogs so bare it's probably going to be impossible to know if they have integrated the fix unless you confirm.

GoNz0
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Eatonwrote:

I agree that Samsung needs to be more transparent about eDrive encryption and the issues surrounding it. I have, unsuccessfully, attempted to use this feature for 4 years on several different Samsung SSDs. I've never had an SSD and hardware combination that let me enable it.

Now it seems like the main issue is finally getting resolved, but we need more transparency!

Samsung, please post a list of motherboard manufacturers you can confirm have the fix. Motherboard BIOS manufacturers post changelogs so bare it's probably going to be impossible to know if they have integrated the fix unless you confirm.

Well said, I have no idea why Samsung needs to close ranks every time a problme exists, we can't push Dell until we know what to push with as the support staff are useless.

It is also very sad that I had to buy 3rd party software to PSID revert my drive back into a useful state.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello userqW8vNpR3Zm,

We found out the issue with e-drive support on boot as soon as the FW was released, not months later.

Also, I don't understand what AMD has to do with this? The issue exists on Intel and AMD systems.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi userqW8vNpR3Zm,

When the FW came out, users revived this thread and started mentioning they couldn't get e-drive to work with the 960s. I tested it and found that it only worked when it was a secondary drive. I reported this higher and after they confirmed it on their end, they started to look into it to find out the cause. On March 16th, Samsung found out and told me to post that they found out the issue was not caused by the drive, but because of the BIOS chipsets. (Motherboard manufacturers do not make their own BIOS's, they are made by 3rd parties like American Megatrends and Phoenix. Intel and AMD are not BIOS chipset manufacturers) I marked it as solved so people would see there is an update. 

So Samsung worked with one of these BIOS chipset companies to see if it is fixable on their end. They did and so I updated the thread that Samsung would work with the other BIOS chipset companies on the solution. From here, the ball is in those BIOS chipset companies' court. They have to work with motherboard manufacturers to get the solution out.

Samsung made the drives to support the IEEE1667 standard. If systems aren't ready to work with IEEE1667 and NVME as boot, it is not Samsung's fault as we just made the drive support the standard.