Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

sorry for the newbee question, but what kind of disadvantages are to be expected
when I have enabled one of the data security modes in magician without using them?
It is no longer possible to secure erase the drive - ok. Anything more?

Thank you,
greetings

Martin

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the tip @NVMextreme !

I confirmed DTA sedutil worked for me - managed to reset 960 evo using this method. So much for Samsung not willing to share their PSID tool because of concern for theft.

Unfortunately I ran another try at Windows eDrive (HW Reset, clean UEFI install, secure boot etc...) also with Samsung NVME drivers v3.0 before activating bitlocker still no luck.

I using Gigabyte B360M DH3 (very recent board with latest F4 BIOS) - has anyone manged to do this with Gigabyte? Other brands? Since we don't have information of possible BIOS updates from vendors would be helpfull to get some feel for compatible motherboard brands.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi

I don't think any motherboard supports eDrive as a boot drive at this time when using NVME drives.  Certainly Samsung hasn't been willing to provide any information to what hardware  they got it to work with.

I think it's a bit of an industry coverup, newer motherboards will likely have support added and the feature will be advertised, but existing motherboards I can't see getting it now.

Regards

Phil

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, userkOa5EGCvHz

You are correct. The industry has not fully adapted NVME as the standard for data storage. Even if we provide a drive that supports eDrive encrption standards, if the motherboard's BIOS does not support the same stardards for NVME drives, then it will not work. Users would have to find a motherboard that does support encryption for NVME drives in order for all of this to work.

Please note: Enterprise and server grade motherboards may have these encryption features for NVME drive, earlier than any of the consumer grade motherboards available. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello Ricky,

Thank you for your answer - I've reached out to gigabyte support who seems open to seek for a solution but said they are missing information on what additional support they need to add to their BIOS?

Dave mentioned in an earlier post that samsung worked upstream with BIOS manufacturer to ensure right functionalities will be included - could you provide pointers for Gigabyte to understand what they need to do to properly support 960/970 drives? 

BR,

Francois

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello frl,

Gigabyte and other motherboard manufacters need to communicate with Samsung and their BIOS manufacturer as the issue is not only related to Samsung NVME SSDs, this is something that effects most or all NVME drives when trying to activate encryption. However, to answer your question, Gigabyte should have their internal contacts for Samsung already. BIOSes with full encyption capabilites for NVME drives, propably won't become available in the consumer market for awhile until NVME becomes the accepted standard for storage devices in the entire industry, I wouldn't expect a "solution" for this anytime soon, but this is just my personal input. This entire process is much more complicated than most people think, but again, this is just my personal input.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi all

Accroding to this: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Intel-SSD-600p-Series-256GB-Full-Review-Low-Cost-M2-NVMe

Intel 6000p also supports Microsoft eDrive and is a nvme, has anyone got any hands on experience with them? If they don't work eithe then this's a bigger problem as being suggested here

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userrE2Zg6TDiT wrote:

Hi all

Accroding to this: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Intel-SSD-600p-Series-256GB-Full-Review-Low-Cost-M2-NVMe

Intel 6000p also supports Microsoft eDrive and is a nvme, has anyone got any hands on experience with them? If they don't work eithe then this's a bigger problem as being suggested here

Yes, I am deploying Intel NUCs, NUC7i5BNH.  Tried to use Samsung 960pro as hardware encrypted bitlocker boot disk (edrive), but it did not work.  Found this thread and ordered an Intel 7600p which is supposed to support it.  I used the Intel ssdadminpro.exe tool to enable the edrive property and installed Win 10 with no luck.  Software encryption only.  After several attempts I contacted Intel support.  The guy will not escalate my case.  It pretty much went like this:

- cannot enable hardware encryption

- It is a Microsoft issue

- escalate the case, I am using an Intel drive supported feature in an Intel NUC.

- Do a secure erase

- Did the secure erase and reinstall, negative outcome, next?

- You need to do a PSID revert and turn the e-drive property off.

- I did the PSID revert, the edrive feature is stays locked on here is the full digest of my CLI session.

- The edrive property just lets you know the drive can work with hardware bitlocker

- Then why are you telling me to turn it off?

Seriously? I am tired of going through the script.  I thought enterprise Intel support might be better than Samsung, but I guess not.  Going back to Class 0 SATA until I can see someone that has the time to let us know edrive on NVME has success.  I don't have the time to do the research.  I don't have the patience to continue with Intel level 0 support.  

I can confirm that an Intel 7600p nvme drive in an Intel NUC7i5BNH would not enable bitlocker hardware encryption on a Windows 10 1709 boot drive with the latest Intel firmware, nvme drivers and intelssdadminpro tool.

I have since purchased a 970evo to test, but cannot get Magician 5.2 to see the disk.  It sees the 850pro boot disk, but will not recognize the 970evo in the machine.  The 970 is connected to the motherboard nvme slot.  Windows sees it, want to use Magician to enable edrive on the 970.  You guys seeing this too?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry to hear your story with Intel CSR. Unfortennately that how front line reps work nowadays it seems. I would call them another day and try to get some real engineer that could actually understand your question.

So even a intel drive on a intel Mobo (I suppose?) would not work. Then the last one I heard this would work was on the new surface pro. That's a pure Microsoft system though, top to buttom.

As for your question, you need internet access in order to have Magician to recognize the new 970 EVO. After that you can make it "ready to enable" but that is the farest you can go I am afarid. Hope this helps.

PS: I am reading somewhere that you can enable encryption nvme drive as a non-boot drive in a Linux system and then install windows to it. The point is that the drive is said to be unlocked in EFI before windows so it's transparent to OS. Sounds like a work around but I need to make sure that's hardware encryption though. Or is this exactly what TCG Opal do?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Anonymous That's a little surprising that consumer motherboard fixes are probably far off. It seems like in this case you should reconsider your marketing for this feature.. I imagine the vast majority of people wanting to use it are consumers, and on boot drives. Not having it work is likely causing a lot of frustration outside of this forum. This limitation should be more clear on the product/support pages.