cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK, so I tried to enable hardware encryption on my 960 EVO, and the magician software is saying that "encrypted drive" is enabled, but BitLocker keeps trying to use software encryption. I am running an ASUS Z370-A with latest BIOS firmware and Windows 10 pro.

@SamsungDave

At this point I am afraid to do the wrong thing with this SSD and brick it. How can I "undo" enabling encrpytion through the magician?

Also, since we are 14 months out from the original post date - has anyone gotten hardware encryption to work on the boot drive?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userNGKyEw36Wbwrote:

Also, since we are 14 months out from the original post date - has anyone gotten hardware encryption to work on the boot drive?

No, and I fear we will come to the same conclusion another 12 months from now.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userqW8vNpR3Zmwrote:

@userNGKyEw36Wbwrote:

No, and I fear we will come to the same conclusion another 12 months from now.

How true. Now they have passed the blame it is case closed.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungDavewrote:

Hello userqW8vNpR3Zm,

As was stated, Samsung is working with the BIOS Chipset companies, which are not the same as the Motherboard manufacturers.

Not satisfying answer. I receive my BIOS Updates from the Motherboard facturer and that's where I have my product registered and some kind of support entitlement. Shall I now contact a third party to get things done and be informed on the issue?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungDavewrote:

Hello All,

After investigating the HW encryption problems from a compatibility point of view, we found this issue can be only be fixed with a BIOS update by the motherboard manufacturers.
Through technical collaboration with one of the major BIOS chipset companies, we have verified that a new BIOS update of the motherboard BIOS works well with the H/W encryption function in our SSD drives. We will continue to verify the solution with the other BIOS chipset companies.
We expect that the motherboard manufacturers will publicize the information of their BIOS updates for a solution.

By far this can never be declared yet an "Accepted solution" for the customers to hear that an individual motherboard BIOS update is required which may never come ever. 

The explanation is insufficient in different ways:

• Why it is an motherboard BIOS update problem? Some more details please.
  • With which major BIOS chipset company you have verified the problem?
  • Which motherboard manufactures you have informed and when? I suppose it must be all providing M.2 (socket 3) slots.
  • What should a Samsung M.2 SSD customer do now? Contact their motherboard manufacturer too, asking for BIOS update and with what kind of justification?
  • Why did I get no information from my local Samsung Support regarding this issue where I opened a support case months ago?
  • If the Samsung M.2 SSD is already eDrive enabled and working as secondary drive, are there any steps to do beside a BIOS update try to activate Bitlocker again?
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yesterday I was in Dubai. I had some spare time, so I went into a shop to play a little with the Galaxy S9+ and the Note 8. Great products, and overthere they were also 10%-15% cheaper than in Europe. Time to change my phone...

... but then I remembered about the 960 EVO and about this thread. It was open on ‎02-06-2017, and one year and one month later, we only know that working with a BIOS producer (which one? Is the name of this BIOS producer a secret?) you managed to get your unit working. So the claims you made in your advertising were untested. And 1 year and 1 month later, it works only with one BIOS, and only if this misterious BIOS producer is willing to push an update on this. 

Maybe this time I can wait a little longer before changing my old phone. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi

Well I contacted Asus technical support who had no information at all about this and then went on to say they could not go into detail about any specific fixes as to if or when they might happen.  In otherwords getting past first line technical support is going to be impossible considering the complete lack of information we have to try to use and  push past.

I think the likelyhood of fixes happening for this issue to existing hardware is remote to non-existant.  Looks like I will need to return the Samsung 960 Pro and get a normal SATA SSD drive that is known to work with eDrive as my job requires it when working from home.

Regards

Phil

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Considering the huge BIOS modding community it would help if you said what the problem and fix is so we can get on with it ourselves, Asus will never bother and I expect Dell will be the same so we need to do it ourselves. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was able to get hardware encryption through bitlocker on my Samsung 960 Evo boot drive, but it was a painful process.

Started with multiple full system backups. 

Then I had to click enable in the Samsung Magician software. 

Created a usb boot drive.

Rebooted and entered the BIOS to disable secure boot and enable legacy booting.

Save and reboot to USB.

Secure erase my 960 EVO

Reboot into BIOS to tenable secure boot and disable legacy booting (UEFI only)

Safe and reboot into old windows 10 installer

Install as usual

Install Samsung NVMe driver

Install Samsung Magician

Reboot

Verify secure drive is "Enabled" not "Ready to enable"

Enable BitLocker,save key, and reboot when prompted

Check bitlocker status for hardware encryption from command line:

manage-bde -status C:

Manually reinstall/restore system

No matter what I tried (partition restore, drive restore, etc), if I had a new version of Win 10 I could not get the drive to use hardware encryption...at least from BitLocker point of view.  Samsung Magician would state the encryption was enabled, but BitLocker continued to say the drive did not support hardware encryption.   My theory, based on other threads, is that the drive was encrypting, but BitLocker would not manage the key...So it could only ever be unlocked in the same machine.  I was uncomfortable with that unknown so I did a full manual reinstall with stuff restored from my backups.

Grr, come on Samsung!  I love your products, but This shouldn't be so hard.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Dell XPS 9560, it doesn't give specifics for the mobo in AIda64 as it is purpose built for the chassis. I7-7700HQ

Kaby lake.

North Bridge Intel Kaby Lake-H IMC

South Bridge Intel Sunrise Point HM175

Only contains the 960 evo drive in this laptop.