cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tobby88
Constellation

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I posted a reply to this thread and my profile still tells me "Total Messages Posted: 1", but the reply is gone. Where is it? 

user6jHtFkuFNc
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please could a Samsung moderator remove the very misleading “Solved” tick from this thread.

Patting yourselves on the back a bit early there! Or maybe just helping your stats along?

Either way it needs bringing back to reality please - your company is advertising a feature which does not exist in the real world and fixing it it needs more effort than applying a green tick.

djjuice
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

there isnt a working solution..

so technically the solution for now is that there are HW encryption issues that can only be fixed with a future bios update.

This may never end up happening as this is probably not a priority to manufactures.

this is something that samsung needs to point out and make clear

user3EN8O0khyY
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung (and any other nvme drive manufacturer advertising hardware encryption) is putting the cart before the horse and doubling down on it. Hardware encryption does not work with an OS nvme drive on what- any motherboard in the world except perhaps the one they got working in what...March 2018? Doesn't anyone think maybe they should have got SED working with motherboards, I don't know- before they started advertising it? We live in a beta world, fellow nerds.

Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi user3EN8O0khyY,

We do not advertise or make offical statements on another manufacurer's product or its features, if a motherboard does or does not support full encryption or any other features, that is up to that manufacturer to advise they're customers of those features or of the motherboard's limitations.  We only advertise what our products are capable of or what they are ready for.

userC7eWFjd0vl
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Then would it be possible for your company to provide a utility, either as a stand alone utility or as an added function to your magician suite, to test and advise whether that feature of your drive is supported on a customer's motherboard on not.  As it currently stands, your software claims the feature is supported and enables the feature on systems that do not support it (due to BIOS limitations) which results in your products being put into a state that requires a RMA to correct.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi userC7eWFjd0vl,

The Samsung Magician won't help activate encryption if your motherboard doesn't support it. That is the entire reason for this forum thread. Users cannot use certian levels of encryption even though the drive has the feature. Unfortunatley, this is because the motherboard's BIOS may not fully support encryption for NVME. If the motherboard does have full encryption capabilities for NVME drives, the the whole process should just work. If the motherboard does not have full encryption capabilities for NVME drives, then the Magician will not let you continue.

userC7eWFjd0vl
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you, I am aware of the problem and have been reading this thread for the past 3 months.  Contrary to your assertation, the Magician software does in-fact allow you to enable encrypted drive encryption and goes to enabled after you re-install windows.  This leaves the drive in a state where it can not be hardware encrypted by other means NOR can it be secure erased without RMAing it to Samsung.  I was suggesting that perhaps samsung could be so kind as to release a utility, or update magician to actually check for BIOS support before enabling it.  

GoNz0
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userC7eWFjd0vl wrote:

Thank you, I am aware of the problem and have been reading this thread for the past 3 months.  Contrary to your assertation, the Magician software does in-fact allow you to enable encrypted drive encryption and goes to enabled after you re-install windows.  This leaves the drive in a state where it can not be hardware encrypted by other means NOR can it be secure erased without RMAing it to Samsung.  I was suggesting that perhaps samsung could be so kind as to release a utility, or update magician to actually check for BIOS support before enabling it.  

They refuse to release the PSID revert tool, you have to use 3rd party tools, pathetic doesn't come close as all the other SSD makers release them and as you can downoad freeware to do it so any excuse samsung give are utter cr@p.

Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi user6jHtFkuFNc,

The solved check mark does not affect the rest of the thread. Please read the entire thread before commenting. You might be mis-understanding the situation, The drives do provide encryption and support the levels of encryption advertised. If the drive is being sold as a encryption ready drive, there is no mis-advertisment. If a motherboard manufacturer does not support these features, Samsung cannot control that. The 960 series SSDs do support encryption. If you would like to find a motherboard that fully supports encryption for NVME drives, please contact your preferred motherboard manufacturer for further information.