tobby88
Constellation

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

JUMP TO SOLUTION
user62ZlXxDw0L
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

With my new NVME SSD Samsung 960 Evo on my new Dell Inspiron 7577 notebook, I was finally able to set Encrypted Drive to "Enabled", but Bitlocker offers also partial disk encryption anyway - i.e. no eDrive HW encryption.

I don't want my disk to stay unprotected of course. Would a valid strategy be the following? Leave "Encrypted Drive" as it is ("Enabled") but turn BitLocker on anyway so that data would be encrypted (just not in an optimal way...). Later this year hopefully new firmware for my HW may be issued and only then I would try again to go the eDrive HW encryption route.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Jakub

userrE2Zg6TDiT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You could try encrypt with opal, which is OS independent.

user62ZlXxDw0L
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for your tip, but:

1) Samsung Magician Software will not allow me to revert / change my choice regarding encryption. My NVME SSD drive is already set to "Encrypted drive", there is no going back from that without a help from Samsung as far as I know.

2) I would like to use the "Encrypted drive" method eventually. I was asking about a temporary solution here - i.e. if it is feasible and if it has any important drawbacks I might not be aware of.

userrE2Zg6TDiT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user62ZlXxDw0L wrote:

Thanks for your tip, but:

1) Samsung Magician Software will not allow me to revert / change my choice regarding encryption. My NVME SSD drive is already set to "Encrypted drive", there is no going back from that without a help from Samsung as far as I know.

2) I would like to use the "Encrypted drive" method eventually. I was asking about a temporary solution here - i.e. if it is feasible and if it has any important drawbacks I might not be aware of.

1. You should be able to revert to disabled with secure erase.

2. Of course you can use software based bitlocker first and reinstall windows to enable eDrive later. You just don't know if and when it would be compatible on your platform. Ask your laptop manufacturer as Samsung is unwilling to answer this question

user62ZlXxDw0L
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you again. Anyway:

1) Secure erase was not possible - although Samsung Magician let me create the boot USB, after a boot from this USB the secure erase utility eventually displayed a message that it was not possible to securely erase my SSD.

My disk is still in "Encrypted drive: Enabled" and I just let it be so.

2) I turned on Bitlocker anyway and encrypted my drive (in software mode). I did not do any performance benchmarking yet but the system seems to go fast enough (as I expected). The drive can be decrypted back without a need for OS reinstallation by the way - I already tested this. So if I am lucky in future and the HW support for NVME boot SSD EDrive finally comes (for Inspiron 7577) I will just turn bitlocker off (decrypt the drive) and after that I will encrypt it again, this time in HW mode.

That said I understand that my current setup may not be the best possible and that my plan is not guaranteed. Smiley Happy