cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GoNz0
Asteroid

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

JUMP TO SOLUTION

AHCI, latest firmware and 2.3 driver hence it allowing me to set it to secure in the 1st place. 

No RST, I wont run that ever again, nothing but trouble and it has not been on this laptop at all.

CSM off, secure boot on but you can see all this in the spoiler tag in my last post.

userZz7F3wFYIR
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same issue. 

960 Evo 1TB

I toggled the drive to "Ready to Enable" and wiped it. Sitting at a fresh Windows 10 install with the drive now reporting that Encrypted Drive is enabled. During Bitlocker setup it begins software encryption process. 

FWIW: I have a Ryzen system and it behaves the same way, so I don't think this is a chipset issue... probably related to the NVME driver or Windows itself. 

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello userZz7F3wFYIR and GoNz0,

Could you please provide me with your Motherboard models?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userG0FBPgtMQs
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Tested it a little bit, and it seems to work as long as you don't try it on your Bootdrive.

While booting from a different drive (850 Evo + W10) edrive works fine, and i was able to encrypt my 960 Evo using Bitlocker in one Moment. But after copying Windows 10 back to the 960 Evo I couldn't get it working. It always tries to Software Encrypt.

So there seems to be a Problem with encrypting the bootdrive :-(

GoNz0
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
mSATA isn't the issue here it's NVMe hence the 850 working ok, not trying to patronise you by saying this Smiley Happy
usera1SH3d07fn
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
SamsungDave, you may have missed my post on the last page, but I also am having this issue and am using the PRO 960 as a bootdrive. I have an Asus ROG MAximus X hero (Wi-Fi) with a i7-8700k.
userZz7F3wFYIR
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungDave wrote:

Hello userZz7F3wFYIR and GoNz0,

Could you please provide me with your Motherboard models?

I have an Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4

userG0FBPgtMQs
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did some more testing, but can't get it working on the bootdrive.

I fully formatted the partition of my 960 Evo and reinstalled Windows 10.

After that, Bitlocker at least tried to use the hardware encryption.  But if you tell Bitlocker to check the encryption before encrypting, it restarts and tells you that hardware encryption isn't supported on this PC and C: couldn't be encrypted.

If you don't check the "Will it work check" (sorry, don't know the name of this option in English) option, it first seems to work, but it won't boot anymore. After restarting it asks you for the Bitlocker recovery key and after this you get an Windows error message with the option to turn your system off, or use the recovery options ...

After restarting back to my 850 Evo, accessing the encrypted 960Evo works flawless.

Board is Asus Z270 Strix. Haven't heard of someone who got it working :-(

Had really high hopes for this and now it won't work ;-(

GoNz0
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Your symptoms are identical to the old ones where people used the Intel RST suite as I had the same back with my 840 evo.

userk0nMY2Jo8L
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the exact same issue with a 960 EVO. Samsung Magician marks the Encrypted Drive functionality as Enabled, and BitLocker properly uses hardware encryption. Testing the encryption fails, and encrypting it anyway results in an unbootable system.