cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userqW8vNpR3Zm
Asteroid

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does anybody got Bitlocker Hardware encryption get to work on the boot drive with 960 EVO?

When I activate Bitlocker on an eDrive activated 960 EVO and Windows reboots to perform the check it says, that hardware encryption is not supported in the drive. Hence the newes firmware does not work on that.

userG0FBPgtMQs
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userqW8vNpR3Zm wrote:

Does anybody got Bitlocker Hardware encryption get to work on the boot drive with 960 EVO?

When I activate Bitlocker on an eDrive activated 960 EVO and Windows reboots to perform the check it says, that hardware encryption is not supported in the drive. Hence the newes firmware does not work on that.

Got the same Problem. I really hope that Samsung will fix this :-(

Encryptor
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello. After few months of research, studying and testing I can honestly say that BitLocker hardware encryption of system drive based on Samsung 960 EVO simply doesn't work (even with the latest firmware and NVMe drivers). I have DELL XPS 9560, so pretty new and widely used machine and nothing was successful.

The only difference with the latest firmware (3B7QCXE7) and NVMe driver (2.3.0.1709) is that I can enable "Encrypted Drive" in the Magicican and have it enabled. But even after Secure Erase and new installation of Windows 10 Enterprise 1709 nothing more has changed. I tried tens of attempts, tens of combinations (Windows versions, drivers, AHCI, RAID, ...) and nothing was successful. So don't waste your time at this point.

I've spent my money for hardware encrypted NVMe SSD, but this is a useless value.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that Samsung has ever successfully tested this working, even in the labs.

Samsung, we really need to solve it ASAP!

Thank you.

Monstieur
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I wonder if booting NVMe drives with IEEE 1667 also requires a UEFI / BIOS update, since the standard did not exist at the time any of these boards we released.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello All,

I tried it with a 960 PRO and bitlocker keeps forcing it to software encryption. I followed the same steps on a 850 EVO on the same system, and it worked on the 850 EVO.

I've escalated the issue and am discussing with the engineers. I'll update once I have more info.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

All,

Quick update. I was able to get bitlocker to do hardware encryption with no issue on the 960 PRO when I had it as a secondary non-boot drive. Can anyone else try this?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Monstieur
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That does work as reported before. I suspect that booting from IEEE 1667 compliant NVMe drives requires a BIOS update.

userqW8vNpR3Zm
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have 960 EVO and also unlucky to get eDrive to work.

My local German (!) Samsung support gave me two answers today (with translation),

after I claimed that I could not get eDrive to work with Bitlocker:

1. Das liegt daran, dass Sie maximal eine Verschlüsselungsmethode pro SSD aktivieren können. Dadurch dass Sie eDrive bereits aktiviert haben, können Sie keine Bitlocker Verschlüsselung aktivieren.

It is because you can activate at most one encryption method for the SSD. Since you've activated eDrive you cannot activate Bitlocker encryption.

Hhhm, somehow irritating.

After asking for further clarification I've got the second answer:

2. Bitte entschuldigen Sie, meinen Fehler. [...] Die 960 Serie unterstützt kein E-Drive.

Please apologize my mistake. [...]. The 960 series does not support eDrive.

Further more irritating.

@Monstieur wrote:

That does work as reported before. I suspect that booting from IEEE 1667 compliant NVMe drives requires a BIOS update.

If that is the case, why does Samsung not mention it with their firmware update?

userG0FBPgtMQs
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I don't think that the problem is the bios. I mean it boots like it has to, there's no "can't read drive" or "please insert boot drive" massage.

Just Windows won't boot like it should. So if there's a nvme IEE1677 problem I think that's more of a Samsung driver / firmware or maybe Windows 10 problem. 

Monstieur
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

<DELETE>