cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Monstieur
Constellation

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The first parition with the Windows bootloader would be unencrypted and thus bootable, but there wouldn't be any NVMe drivers there. I believe it needs both coopoeration from UEFI and some additional support in Windows, specifically for NVMe, to unlock the other partitions. I see that most X99 boards have received this BIOS update.

GoNz0
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can't test as a 2nd drive as my laptop is a single NVMe only, I hope when you fix this you inform Dell what they need to do BIOS wise or they will ignore the problem. Thanks to this I have a drive that can no longer be secure erased. You need to release the PSID revert tool like other manufacturers have done so we can put out drives back into a state where we can use OPAL, sending for RMA is not a solution unnless you are going to cross ship me a drive.

GoNz0
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Any update????

userr3hji25nue
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also have a Dell 9560, opened this post in their community:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20025337

Hope they listen to us :/

GoNz0
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried with the new BIOS, I am unable to do this as I need the laptop working for now.

userr3hji25nue
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No luck, improved NVMe support but no security/encryption update 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/it/it/itbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=VNN2D

GoNz0
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I believe it is more driver based anyway but Samsung have gone quiet now.

Encryptor
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

While I'm still angry that I can't use main feature of my premium product (i.e. security), there is a simple check, if BitLocker is able to use hardware encryption of SSD:

run elevated msinfo32.exe and for my system (DELL XPS 9560) I see:

Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, which is indicating that HW encryption is not possible.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi GoNz0,

Samsung is looking into it, but at the moment, the 960 PRO issue in the other thread has taken priority.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

nithinmanne
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How did you manage to secure erase it once to enable the eDrive functionality, if it is an OS drive?