Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userr3hji25nue
Asteroid

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Dave,

I would like to thank you because you're very supportive. You personally seem to care a lot about us, always here to try to help us at your best.

I need however to note that the support we're receiving from Dell, Microsoft and Samsung is overall well below standard. Put together, those companies are some hunderd of billions of revenues and I don't know how many hunderd of thousands of employes. It's really hard to believe that since they're focusing on the 960 PRO FW issue, they have no resources to handle also other enquiries. I mean, it's not the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster, with technologies from the 80s and debribs all over the Atlantic. It's a problem with a working hardware/software with full log access, that was reported already 60 days ago.

So it appears as if you Dave are on the front line with us, but behind you, those three companies don't really care that much about the 960 PRO and EVO NVMe issues and customers. 

One plus to Samsung, that at least has you talking to us, because Dell didn't even bother to answer.

But considering that they are top-of-the-line products, I was expecting some more efforts on improving them.

Duccio

GoNz0
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Lack of testing springs to mind, need I remind you of the huge testicle they dropped with the 960 pro performance issue?

So if I am now left in a position where I was prepared to take the secure erease hit on the chin for the ability to use bitlocker but as this is not the case becuase it seems the single person developing the software and firmware judging by the time taken to do so cannot come up with a fix I would rather have my drive back to stock so I can secure erase when I want and use other forms of hardware encryption that I can now no longer use thanks to this drive being set as encrypted with no way for me to encrypt it on the hardware level.

How about you tell the dev to release the PSID revery tool like other companies do, you know the one that can only be used if you can physically read the label so security isn't an issue with it, at least then those of us who took it in good faith that the developer did the job they are paid to do correctly before finding out they didn't.

It is beyong pathetic that I am expected to RMA my drive to get this done, I really regret buying this drive now, it has been nothing but a letdown. 

Just get the PSID tool released and the problem is solved!

Not having a go at you Dave but you seem to be the one liasing between the public and the development team.

userqGvZZlmQVd
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey guys,

Well @SamsungDave here is the problem: I have the constant freezes with my 960 Pro AND the eDrive issue. With eDrive enabled and secure erase unavailable how do you suggest I remove all my data before sending the drive in for RMA? [I only have a loptop with one M.2 slot and no desktop pc]

Also the drive is clearly not usable given the constant freezing with the firmware (I can't do anything, if windows starts downloading updates the system freezes for minutes. This is my uni machine, I can't afford a new drive and this is by far the worst experience I have ever had with any hardware device in my life).

And I know you said in the other thread that you couldn't share an exact date for the fix but can you at least confirm it will happen this month?

Thanks,

Michael

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userqGvZZlmQVd,

You can full format the drive before sending it in. We do a FW wipe once it arrives at the service center, so no one's data is accessed. If your unit cannot be detected, it gets destroyed.

They are preparing an update for me to provide regarding the FW. Keep an eye out for it the next few days.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userGhae5JxTTV
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I’ve read through this thread and my understanding is Samsung’s flagship drive doesn’t support hardware encryption? On the latest motherboards? Running the latest version of Windows?

Why?

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi userGhae5JxTTV,

The drive does support Hardware encryption. The problem currently seems to be that bitlocker does not want to use the hardware encryption when it is the boot drive.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

gladston3
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem that I am unable to use Bitlocker with hardware encryption on my 960 EVO as boot drive. How can I disable hardware encryption again? In Samsung Magician it doesn't seem possible?!

Thanks
- gladston3

GoNz0
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userZTs3yUcBZp wrote:

I have the same problem that I am unable to use Bitlocker with hardware encryption on my 960 EVO as boot drive. How can I disable hardware encryption again? In Samsung Magician it doesn't seem possible?!

Thanks
- gladston3

Samsung need to get with the plan and release the PSID revert tool to reset the drive to a more usable state, currently it is a joke as they expect us to RMA the drive.

The other big players in SSD's have tools you can download to reset the drive using the PSID code found on the label,

userG0FBPgtMQs
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You can easily find the PSID revert tool online ;-)

gladston3
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The one I was able to find was quite old and didn't recognize my 960 EVO.
I also tried sedutil but that only completely wiped my disk without removing the hardware encryption. All in all pretty unsatisfying...