Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GoNz0
Asteroid

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userG0FBPgtMQs wrote:

You can easily find the PSID revert tool online ;-)

That is for older Sata based drives, it was the 1st thing I tried.

user5koi28awTr
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungDave wrote:

All,

Quick update. I was able to get bitlocker to do hardware encryption with no issue on the 960 PRO when I had it as a secondary non-boot drive. Can anyone else try this?

Can you post the steps you went through to get that working? I want to do the same thing,

I have a 960 Pro that I am using as a secondary drive for MySQL databases, and the boot drive is a PNY.  In Samsung Magician, the 960 Pro  says eDrive is disabled, but has the button "Ready to enable".  I've tried enabling and secure erasing, then reinitializing it in Windows and enabling Bitlocker to no avail.... all I get is software encryption.

userqW8vNpR3Zm
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Samsung 960 EVO with firmware 3B7QCXE7. That firmware is now "online" again, indicating Samsung might not publish a new firmware like they did for the 960 PRO.

Hardware encryption with Bitlocker only works when using as non-boot drive. As boot-drive, Bitlocker fails to get activated.

I would like to know:

1. Does hardware encryption on 960 PRO not work too when using as boot drive? Even with the newest (fixed) firmware? Can someone confirm that?
  2. On the other hand, is this a problem of NVMe driver rather than of firmware?
  3. But if its related to the driver, why does hardware encryption work on other Samsung M.2 drive PM971 also as boot drive (there are reports on that)?

userotuhtFWeud
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hi,
I also want the eDrive support for my 960 pro. With the 850 pro everything works like a charm, but with the 960 pro Magician shows a message, that the drive is not supported :-(

For about 520 Euros (1 TB) I want more than this. And like I read here, this problem is old...

Please fix it.
Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Everyone,

We are investigating this issue from a system compatibility point. If we find any new information or updates, we will share it.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userJidmFfAULy
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hello Dave and thanks for your reply.

Me and many others are waiting for edrive Support a long time (actually since the release of the 950 pro when it was first announced). Please dont let us in the dark and provide us updates when or if ever you guys planning on releasing a fix.
Thanks
GoNz0
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The great "if"

I wouldn't hold your breath.

userqW8vNpR3Zm
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungDave wrote:

Hi Everyone,

We are investigating this issue from a system compatibility point. If we find any new information or updates, we will share it.

Compatibility point?

What does that mean? Encryption of 960 PRO/EVO only works in case of this or that, depending on dedicated types of hardware or software. From the beginning of promotion of the 960 series it was told, that eDrive support will be available with future firmware. eDrive works if used as non boot drive. For my 960 EVO I can confirm that. But that is by far not enough. I expect it to work as boot drive, like the 850's do.

Is there any evidence or proof by Samsung (or customers) that this is the case? No.

Either Samsung not even have tested this or they know it does not work and they don't tell it.

Maybe there is no firmware problem, but one with NVMe driver or Windows, we don't know.

In any way the information policy by Samsung regarding this issue is terrible.

Sorry to say that.

userotuhtFWeud
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am regarding 2 forums in Germany where there are many, many people massively criticizing this. One of the best manufacturers of SSD´s and then something like this...

And worst of all is the fact, that this thema is not new, no sir! Is years old.

GoNz0
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

And the cream on the cake is the pathetic attitude Samsung has over the PSID revert tool that the majority of the other big players have released to allow a drive reset, yet it is only Samsung who screwed up the last updated leaving us with drives stuck in secure mode with no way out other than an RMA, WTF?