cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcsj
Asteroid

Help needed migrating from Samsung 1TB 840 SSD to the 860 EVO 4TB SSD.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,  I'm upgrading my c: drive from a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB to a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB.  

I'm on Windows 10 (build 18363). 

Using Samsung Data Migration app v.3.1, I can consistently get a successful clone without errors.  Once I remove my old ssd and put in the new one (860 EVO 4TB), I see the boot sequence recognize the 860 EVO, but then it goes to a blue screen of death (BSOD) saying:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0xc000000e

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media..."

BSOD1 - Copy.jpg

I have connected my old 840 SSD 1TB back into the motherboard (FYI -using correct SATA 6GB/s).  And I'm back online with my old SSD, but what's the best procedure to follow at this point.  I do have a recovery USB drive ready, but I was going to try another migration tool like AOMEI or Acronis True Image 2020 before messing with windows recovery.    

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
marcsj
Asteroid

Re: Help needed migrating from Samsung 1TB 840 SSD to the 860 EVO 4TB SSD.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I spoke with Samsung support.   In my case, my 1TB 840 EVO has an MBR (Master Boot Record) type which explains why my system was only showing 2TB the 1 time I was able to boot into the new 4TB drive.   At this point I will first convert my 1TB c: drive from MBR to GPT using the windows mbr2gpt tool, then change my system boot from BIOs to UEFI.   Once I've tested that I can boot successfully again with UEFI, I will then try and run the data migration tool again to clone from the 1TB  to my new 4TB drive.  

Update:  It turned out that I could not use my new 4TB  as  a boot drive as my mother board (ASUS P6X58D-E) is too old and does not have support for UEFI.    I did have another 6gbs SATA slot to use for the drive.  I ended up using "Disk Management" utility in "Computer Management" on Windows 10  to make it GPT and use the 4TB EVO that way.    Bottom line - it was time to build or buy a new computer if I wanted a 4TB Evo as my boot drive... not this time.  What I got still works.  Thks for the advice! 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For all solid-state drive questions, please either email support@totalts.com or call 1-800-SAMSUNG and choose option 7 for SSD support. The SSD support team is available M-F 9 AM - 9 PM. Thanks!

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
marcsj
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I spoke with Samsung support.   In my case, my 1TB 840 EVO has an MBR (Master Boot Record) type which explains why my system was only showing 2TB the 1 time I was able to boot into the new 4TB drive.   At this point I will first convert my 1TB c: drive from MBR to GPT using the windows mbr2gpt tool, then change my system boot from BIOs to UEFI.   Once I've tested that I can boot successfully again with UEFI, I will then try and run the data migration tool again to clone from the 1TB  to my new 4TB drive.  

Update:  It turned out that I could not use my new 4TB  as  a boot drive as my mother board (ASUS P6X58D-E) is too old and does not have support for UEFI.    I did have another 6gbs SATA slot to use for the drive.  I ended up using "Disk Management" utility in "Computer Management" on Windows 10  to make it GPT and use the 4TB EVO that way.    Bottom line - it was time to build or buy a new computer if I wanted a 4TB Evo as my boot drive... not this time.  What I got still works.  Thks for the advice! 

View solution in original post