Original topic:

How much longer is Samsung going to ignore the scanline issues?

(Topic created on: 1/13/21 6:18 PM)
userM6GxaOZNTr
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

How much longer will Samsung be blatantly ignoring the scanline issues plaguing the G7/G9 series monitors? It affects every single monitor out there and if they just acknowledge it as a problem, they can probably address it to some degree with firmware changes.

The scanlines I'm referring to are when certain pixel patterns in images cause dark horizontal lines to appear across the screen, and in very few cases it can be alleviated by raising black equalizer. In other cases, it manifests as faint scanlines in particular corners of the screen (top left for me) on specific colours, such as certain shades of orange and blue.

It seems like every single attempt to raise this issue with Samsung just goes completely and utterly ignored while they pretend not to see it and answer other, "easier" questions. It is also possible to hear coil-whine from the monitor whenever this artifact is present on screen, and it's also most prominent on 240hz. It mostly goes away when lowering the refresh rate, but that's not what I bought this monitor for.

19 Replies
userM6GxaOZNTr
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

And just like that this, among the other threads, will be buried forever. The support staff have already skipped over these threads to answer the "easy" questions.

userMeReki7Xsk
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same problem , my post doesnt show on here for some reason :\ , i'll probably have to return the screen and go put my money somewhere else

user183gG0h7T7
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same here. There are many threads online. No answer. Its weird because it seems like its a software issue, or maybe i dont know how monitors work. Probably that because they should have fixed this by now if it was possible. Im guessing there are certain pixel combinations (when viewing images or colors, etc) that trigger the monitor to malfunction. 

MG33
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same issue here as well. Looks like a replacemnt is the only solution... Samsung won't even honor my warranty as they have no units availble to replace it! 

0 Likes
userFNl6XwJRMN
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same issue here. The specific image issue that makes the entire screen scanlined I could probably live with as it doesn't happen in games, but the faint scanlines in the left and right sides (mainly left side for me) of the monitor is what's really starting to bug me. 

userhDNYfIfwxg
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I just got my monitor a couple days ago and these scanlines are annoying me to no end. Especially when visiting specific websites it'll cause the whole screen to dim and the scanlines become more pronounced. This is crazy a monitor this expensive still has an issue like this.

https://youtu.be/VsGTjXfCYqI

orcinus
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

August production, recently serviced by Samsung (panel replaced), latest downloadable firmware, still exhibiting the same issue - scanlines with VRR on, or just regular whole screen dimming / gamma shift with VRR off.

Nearly all my Android phones were Samsungs, all my TVs are Samsungs, my earphones were Samsung’s, heck, my washing machine is Samsung’s. No more. This monitor has managed to completely sour my view of their products.

This company is a joke.

usersFhpHQvQm6
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same issue, scanlines on Blue and Orange colors when VrR is ON, but the problem is if i turn VRR OFF i have flickering so...

orcinus
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yeah, i ended up turning off VRR off too.

It's not the flicker that annoys me as much as the fact that even if i calibrate the monitor to 2.2 gamma, i can never be sure what i'm looking at is actually 2.2 - if i'm editing a photo, a pattern or color in the photo (or who knows which part of the screen) might be causing it to dim, and i wouldn't know it were, unless i move things around all the time, testing if it's dimmed or showing the correct image.

Just absurd.