Original topic:

How much longer is Samsung going to ignore the scanline issues?

(Topic created on: 1/6/21 6:49 AM)
userM6GxaOZNTr
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

How much longer will Samsung be blatantly ignoring the scanline issues plaguing the G7/G9 series monitors? It affects every single monitor out there and if they just acknowledge it as a problem, they can probably address it to some degree with firmware changes.

The scanlines I'm referring to are when certain pixel patterns in images cause dark horizontal lines to appear across the screen, and in very few cases it can be alleviated by raising black equalizer. In other cases, it manifests as faint scanlines in particular corners of the screen (top left for me) on specific colours, such as certain shades of orange and blue.

It seems like every single attempt to raise this issue with Samsung just goes completely and utterly ignored while they pretend not to see it and answer other, "easier" questions. It is also possible to hear coil-whine from the monitor whenever this artifact is present on screen, and it's also most prominent on 240hz. It mostly goes away when lowering the refresh rate, but that's not what I bought this monitor for.

user1Tl7xJ8mJE
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same problem with scanlines , hope samsung going to update this

mutorcs
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

What exactly does the VRR setting do, what is it? I looked in the manual, and it actually isn't even mentioned.

0 Likes
orcinus
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I've returned my previous G9 to the distributor and bought a new one.

The new one was manufactured in December (old one was August), came with firmware 1009. Revision/version is still the same. It seems way better. There's:
- no overheating
- no dead pixels
- no backlight leaks
- no flickering backlight
- no backlight temperature / whitepoint drift from center to edge 

In normal use, i haven't seen a single scanline in over a week now. That includes desktop, various graphics and 3D apps, and gaming. I can invoke the gamma shift (what people cause flicker, which isn't really backlight flicker - i had that as a separate issue) with the dreaded Oculus gif that's been making the rounds, and *some* tests, but it's much less pronounced, and there are no scanlines.

Nearly all inversion and pixel walk tests don't manage to provoke it, and look much better (color much more uniform between one polarity and the opposite one).

Barring any new issues, i think this one's a keeper.

0 Likes
user3PPY6d2waN
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I too am experiencing this issue.  I tried the online chat support and they directed me to call a certain number.  The tech there asked me to email photos of the issue.  I have included this thread in that email.  I have also just direct messaged multiple Samsung staff members that are active on the forums to hopefully get us a response.

My manufacture date is August 2020.

Here is a gallery I put together of comparison photos of the issue: https://imgur.com/a/9yHtKvh

I am 4 days outside the return period with Best Buy.

dudelove
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
yes, every monitor has scanlines issue. Samsung needs to patch asap
mutorcs
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I can actually make mine do it at will just by placing a gray window on the left side of the screen. Thunderbird with the dark theme triggers it every time. And if I move a gray window around on the left or right side the whole screen flickers all disco style. This is really super ultra lame! I wish I had known about this before I bought one.

0 Likes
LoTan
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Samsung - please address this issue. You have to know it's happening. This is NOT an isolated problem with a "few bad monitors". Do something about it.

userxpOhLJSFKW
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I received my monitor 2 days ago and also have this issue, and other issues as well. Sometimes I have the scan lines, if I turn of VRR I get flickering sometimes, when my monitor goes to sleep and then wakes up it takes a long time and all my windows rearrange, something that didn't happen before. I'm not sure if I should just return this monitor and try a different brand, all I would like is a statement from Samsung saying they are working on the issue and I would wait. but if they aren't going to fix it, why should I keep it and why would I recommend it to anyone else?

JamieYeargan
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
Have the same scanlines as others. Think its related to refresh rate as 60hz it seems to disappear. I also hear a very low buzzing on 240hz.
0 Likes
Ogre J
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm using the G7 27", and for the most part, it isn't bad, but it happens 100% of the time when certain images are displayed on the screen, like this. And that's very, very disappointing.

0 Likes