Original topic:

I Unable To Update My 980 Pro 1TB Firmware From 3B2QGXA7

(Topic created: 05-18-2023 02:42 AM)
Baldcoin
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

When using Samsung Magician, I try to update my firmware, and it just keeps saying I need to update the firmware. There are no errors. It shuts down my PC, and then when I open it again, it says it's still on the old firmware. I have done this about four times, and it still keeps doing it. I have two 980 Pros. One is my 500 gig boot drive, which updated fine, but this secondary drive will not update.

4 Replies
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

Swap the two drives in their slots and try again.

0 Likes
aroman_ro
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

This is not an easy solution for some.

In my case, I have 3 such ssds on the mainboard... swapping them would be a nightmare: I would have to take out the video card (a huge 4090 that prevents access to the screws of the ssd coolers). 

Instead of having a lot of people all over the world to do something like that each time a new version of firmware appears, it would be better to just fix Magician.

0 Likes
Teknophage
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

For those attempting to update their firmware away from the afflicted 3B2QGXA7 to the latest 5B2QGXA7 and encounter problems due to RAID (AMD or otherwise), and can't boot the firmware ISO. Do this at your own risk, I'm not responsible if anything goes wrong. Always perform backup before proceeding!

1. Get the latest version of Rufus.
  2. Get the Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft's download page.
  3. Use a fast NVMe drive in an enclosure.
  4. In Rufus, show advanced drive properties and check "List USB Hard Drives" so you can see your USB enclosure with the installed NVMe drive.
    1. Select the CORRECT device.
    2. Select the ISO.
    3. Change the image option to "Windows To Go" and change nothing else.
    4. Click Start and select the Windows version you currently use with your computer.
  5. When complete, reboot and enter BIOS
    1. Disable NVMe RAID and then save settings and restart.
  6. Let the external NVMe boot -- this may reboot a couple of times and you will then be at a fresh install of Windows.
    1. Log in with your Microsoft Account as you normally would.
    2. Don't copy your settings, set it up as a new device (Very important!)
  7. Once at the desktop, download and install Samsung Magician.
  8. Run Samsung Magician
    1. !!! RAID USERS: DO NOT RUN DIAGNOSTICS, PERFORMANCE TESTS, OR CHANGE ANY SETTINGS AT ALL --> IT MAY KILL YOUR RAID !!!
      1. The thing tells you it will write a 1GB file to the disks. It doesn't know anything is or isn't there. I didn't dare try it. If you do and it doesn't break your array, let everyone know by responding to this thread.
    2. >>> LOWER LEFT CORNER, CLICK UPDATE <<<
      1. Update the version of Samsung Magician if needed, then reopen and return to this update section.
      2. Click UPDATE ALL for your SSD(s) or you'll be repeating this several times and you don't have to.
      3. Click the OK button after a deep breath.
      4. It happens quickly then prompts to reboot, let the timer tick down and just breathe normally.
      5. The computer turns itself OFF, full shutdown, don't panic. Breathe...
  9. Disconnect your external NVMe drive.
  10. Power on your computer and enter to the BIOS.
    1. Enable NVMe RAID and then save settings and restart.
  11. If all went well, your computer will boot normally and all shall be well.
    1. You can check with your software tool that manages your RAID configuration (e.g. AMD: RAIDXpert2) and you will see all your firmware is updated.

At this point, the world is new... you would think. You are not done yet.

1. Open the command prompt as administrator
    1. Run the command: chkdsk /f
    2. Press Y to schedule after a reboot
    3. Close the command prompt
    4. Reboot and let the scan complete, you will reboot twice.
  2. Next, open PowerShell
    1. Run the command: Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter c -retrim
      1. You should run this for each drive letter on your SSDs
    2. Close PowerShell

Now you are done. Doing that last part should clear any funkiness caused by the borked 3B2QGXA7 firmware. This is the best way to resolve the problem if you run RAID. If you don't then this wouldn't have been necessary at all. You can re-use the external drive for all kinds of things, including updating the firmware again in the future.

0 Likes
Rodimus Prime
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Will this work if you're updating an 980 Pro to the 5B2QGXA7 firmware?

0 Likes