Original topic:

LC49RG9 49" curved monitor has trouble coming out of sleep

(Topic created on: 12/17/20 9:51 PM)
user2QZor0DLS5
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

My new LC49RG9 49" curved monitor is beautiful.  But when the computer goes to sleep and I wake it up, the display turns on briefly (~4 seconds) and then goes blank (usually at the point where I get to the login screen).  There is a black screen but the backlight can be seen.  The only way to see anything on the screen again is to do a hard reboot (turn off the monitor, then turn it back on).   

Also, when turning off the monitor to do this, I'm not really sure if I'm doing it wrong.  I usually have to hold the joystick/power button for a couple seconds, release, and then hold it again.  It takes several times before it usually shuts off.  Once it is off, I hold the button and it comes back on and the screen is visible.

This is all very inconvenient for a $1000+ monitor that is brand new.  It takes a good 20-30 seconds to go through this process.  There is some discussion of the CR9 monitor having similar issues in these forums, but no clear fix that I could see.  There is also no firmware for the CRG9 unlike the CR9.  

The problem does not seem to happen with a cold boot.  It most frequently happens with coming out of sleep.  Once the monitor is up, no other problems.

My system is Win10 pro, Intel 10700F cpu, 64GB memory, and Radeon 5600X gpu.  No special tuning or settings on anything except for some slight reduction of the brightness and sharpness.  The system is used mainly for work and very little for games.

Any help would be appreciated.

11 Replies
user6xlAq0bZGQ
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I got mine to stop by changing from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1.4 on the monitor. Far from ideal as it locks to 60 Hz on 1440p for me, but it was better than nothing. Try that. (There is a similar option for DP)

0 Likes
userc05seU2ugA
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same issue. What can we do about this?  I have 2 cureved monitors, the 32 in works perfectly, the 49 inch I struggle with every morning I come into work.

0 Likes
user2QZor0DLS5
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Well I can confirm that my problem is only when I connect through displayport.  The monitor turns on for exactly 10 seconds then goes blank.  HDMI is ok.  Changing displayport versions did nothing.  the waking problems still happened no matter what I did with the settings.  I also tried a different displayport cable but still had issues.    

I guess the only problem is if you want FreeSync, which is not a problem for me since I dont game on the monitor.

Perhaps if a firmware update finally comes out it will get addressed.

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

This may be asking the obvious question, but have you tried disabling the ECO Saving+ and Off Timer Plus in the settings?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
user2QZor0DLS5
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yes.  I have both Smart ECO Saving+ and Off Timer Plus (both ECO timer and OFF Timer) disabled.  

So here's the summary (to correct my typos in the original post):

Intel 10700F cpu, 64GB memory, and Radeon 5600XT gpu. Samsung Odyssey CRG9, MFD Sept 2020, Firmware 1004.0

With Displayport Cable, waking from sleep ALWAYS shows the login screen for 10 seconds and then goes blank.  Once the power button is used to hard reboot the screen, the screen operates as expected. Here are the main settings I've tried.

- all versions of Displayport (1.1, 1.4)   (1.2 is greyed-out)

- Smart ECO Saving+ and Off Timer Plus (both ECO timer and OFF Timer) all set to off

- Freesync On or Off

- PCI Express Link State Power Management (in Windows) Max, Min, Off

- Two different Displayport cables.  One that I think came with the monitor and one that I bought from Monoprice.

- the resolution is automatically 5120x1440 @ 120 Hz.  (note, when you look at the Information menu, it says 60Hz.  Not sure which is true.)

With HDMI Cable, the monitor always wakes from sleep for all of the settings Ive tried.

- Does not offer higher that 60Hz for 5120x1440.   This can become a big problem for me in the future, so I'm weighing whether I should RMAing now.

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have sent all of this information to my engineers for investigation.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userArd58m80PB
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I think 1 month is more than enough time to craft a response, any update?

0 Likes
userz5SmoUNpO7
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Having the *exact* same issue. Sometimes I'll remember to power down the monitor first (push, down, confirm power off), and then power it on before waking computer. This has ~75% success rate in avoiding the wake issue. 

I'll add that sometimes in the black back-lit screen that pops up, it will sometimes show the Display Port (I use port 2) in the top left, many times it wont. The power toggle switch otherwise doesn't pop up an interface, though the hot buttons will show the current settings.

Very frustrating for a brand-new monitor. FWIW, also using an AMD GPU, 5500XT.

0 Likes
user2QZor0DLS5
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am hopeful we'll hear back fom SamsungLou and his engineers.  

0 Likes