Original topic:

Magician Readings for 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2 drive?

(Topic created on: 12/1/20 4:47 AM)
userK5bvEaQ3BK
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi,

I have had a destop PC built for me which includes a Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2 drive.

PC Spec's.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3400G

Board Asus Prime B450M-A

RAM Gammix D10 16GB  3200MHz DDR4

SSD  As above

HDD 2nd drive Seagate 1TB

O/S  W10 Pro

I installed the Magician Software. However the 'written' figures under the 'Drive Health' are not within keeping to what I was expecting.

The 'written' figure is now showing 433GB and I have only had the computer one week. The first time I ran Magician it showed 32GB written. It seems to jump up huge amounts when I do things like add drivers or a Windows Update etc.

Any idea's, or help on this would be very much appreciated.

Please see the add screen shots below:-

Todays reading.Todays reading.

Thanks for reading,

Chris.

0 Likes
8 Replies
userK5bvEaQ3BK
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

What a difference a day makes, in this case another 112GB and I've hardly done anything on the PC.

Screenshot 2020-12-02 203501.jpg

If I have posted this in the wrong category Admin please feel free to move it.

Chris.

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

That's Windows 10 for you.  My 1TB 970 OS drive has 170 GB on it and has written 7.5TB so far.

I tend to buy the larger drives to take advantage of the increased caches sizes and sustained write speeds.

0 Likes
userK5bvEaQ3BK
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Many thanks for your reply. I feel a little happier knowing I'm not on my own.

It could be a Windows 10 issue I agree, but it could also in my view as likely be the Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2 drive software. I run a Samsung V-NAND SSD 850 Evo drive on my old PC (I have been for 4 years) and there is no problem with the "Written" information in Magician, and both PC's are on the W10, 20H2 version, OS Build 19042.662.

What software have you used to get a true reading of what's been written?

I tried using HWiNFO64 portable, but that gave me the same reading as Magician (see below)

SMART test results the same..jpg

Chris.

0 Likes
userK5bvEaQ3BK
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Now over 600GB "written" according to Magician!

The new PC isn't even 4 weeks old yet.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Screenshot 2020-12-16 202035.jpg

Chris.

0 Likes
userzkLDRlcrSU
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

same situation.  purchased from amazon  installed hardly used it but a few times  installed magician, found out i'm over 30 day return and frankly i'm confused.  Works incredibly  New life to my laptop, but "new" and its health is only good? meh    curious if you heard from anyone or new info   many thanks

0 Likes
userK5bvEaQ3BK
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

No sorry no further news to add.

Good is the best you're going to get I think. 

I have noticed now I have the majority of my programs installed on this drive the TBW have slowed down, which makes sense.

My PC is now around 3mths old and the number of TBW are 1.4TB. So if I rounded that up to 1.5TB in 3mths that would equate to 6TB's in one year. With the life expectancy of 150TBW for the Samsung 250GB M.2 NVME drive I need not have worried. 

As 'ddaniel51' pointed out above, the bigger capacity the hard drive the longer the life expectancy is.

It sounds as if you're liking the new life for your laptop from the added SSD, enjoy  :  )

Chris.

0 Likes
user3Lyuy0Txnf
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

The 980 Pro is a garbage drive riddled with issues. I've had mine just over 4 weeks and says I've written 11.1 TB! That is insanely wrong and just to check I unplugged my internet, ran anti-virus and in a weeks time it wrote an additional 3 TB?! Not to mention the write speed has gone off a cliff, which is a known issue. I advise anyone looking for a new SSD look elsewhere. 2021-04-20.png

0 Likes
userK5bvEaQ3BK
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Wow that is a lot of TBW in such a very short time. Very odd how more TBW were added with the Internet disconnected. What else could be writing to it when the Internet was disconnected? 

0 Likes