JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Magician does not recognize 860 EVO 4TB drives

(Topic created: 05-16-2018 12:17 PM)
user7EWKlTyMwE
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have multiple Samsung V-NAND SSD 860 EVO SATA 6 Gb/s drives.

I need to upgrade the firmware on them and Magician does not recognize the drive.

Im using a windows 10 64b system to try and access.

Also, the system shows it as a 2 TB drive under the data on the drive.   

Thanks for looking.

M

18 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi user7EWKlTyMwE,

What version of the Samsung Magician software are you using? Does your system have internet access?

0 Likes
47Cosmos
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory
Pretty sure he has internet connection, that's why he can post on samsung forum.
Please show us the pictures of Magician, System infomation, Disk Management, ...
0 Likes
VTHackMac
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have similar issues.  Just purchased a 860 EVO 1T.  Download site appears to be down or unreachable.  Anyway, I have multiple older 850 EVO drives.  I have the Magician ver 5.2 and with the 860 EVO, software indicates the drive is not supported.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gsmalPxpwRFuqfT1PRSiaSUzgZN3eaRR/view?usp=sharing

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi VTHackMac,

What mode is your system BIOS in? For example, IDE, RAID and etc.

0 Likes
userBGiVAPWnlj
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi

I purchased a Samsung EVO 60 a few days ago to replace the HDD on my Asus laptop and so far have been very disappointed at not being able to open Samsung Miracle software to make the conversion. All I get is the dreaded “This drive is not supported”.

My laptop is:                                       Asus X550LA

BIOS:                                                     506 (latest update carried out today as a possible remedy)

SATA Mode Selection                       [AHCI]

Device Type:                                        Hard Disk

Model Name:                                       ST500LT012-1DG142

Processor:                                             Intel (R) Core ™ i5-4200U.CPU @ 1.6 GHz 2.30 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM):                 12.00 GB

This problem seems to travel on through different models and generations of Samsung SSD products together with the “Miracle” software (v. 5.0.2.1610) and seems to have many people affected.

Can anyone, especially from Samsung, shine a light on how to proceed from here and if and what is being done about the problem?

Thanks for any response.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi userBGiVAPWnlj,

Are you trying to install the drive for the first time? Are you attempting to clone your original HDD? How do you have the new SSD connected?

0 Likes
userBGiVAPWnlj
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi, weekend so back on the case. Yes I’m trying to install for the first time and attempting to clone the existing HDD. I have the new SSD placed in a Samsung 2.5” external enclosure Model F2 and plugged into a laptop USB socket (have tried both USB2 and USB3). Before todays attempt I updated all the drivers in the laptop in case that was an issue. I also tried using the Magician software on another laptop and am getting the same result. The drop down at top left of screen shows SSD 860 EVO 500G and the ST500LT012-1DG142 HDD. Under Interface it says Unable to detect. I have tried with firewall and anti-virus programs disabled and now am completely out of ideas! Can you offer any further ideas? Thanks

0 Likes
userkFbQOC6ZB7
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory
Just encountered the same problem in the same scenario as userBGiVAPWnlj .

I cloned and replaced an OEM 256G M.2 NVME SSD with a new 970 EVO 1TB M2. NVME SSD. Windows 10 boots fine, and recognizes the 970 EVO in the Device Manager, where it identifies a Windows default driver for the device.

When attempt to install the Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.0 I get the error "Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected." Magician identifies the drive as "Samsung SSD 970", but says "This drive is not supported."

Based on other research I found that the BIOS was set to RAID. I changed it to AHCI but then Windows would not boot and went into repeated reboot cycle. Changed BIOS back to RAID and things booted up again. (writing from the computer in question now).

Any ideas?
0 Likes
userBGiVAPWnlj
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have since downloaded Magician 4.9.7 as it seems to have been free of “This drive is not supported” stuff.

In Section 1 it registers my 860 EVO against Drive Information, Serial No.:  UNKNOWN, Firmware: B, Capacity:  465.76 GB, Drive Health Status:  N/A, Total Bytes Written:  N?A.

In Section 2 under AHCI Mode:  N/A,  Information is available only for Samsung Brand SSD’s,  both SATA Interface and OS Optimization headings have the same as for AHCI Mode.

I am beginning to think that maybe my 860 EVO is a dud. Is there any way of testing it to confirm?

0 Likes