Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Gracie Allen
Constellation

Magician for PM951?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have an Alienware 17R3 that I believe has a "NVMe PM951 NVMe Samsung", which if I understand correctly is an M.2 PM951, 256GB (or perhaps 250)...

In any case, I was going to install Magician to make sure I have it optimally configured, but I can't find a version that will work.  I've installed THREE different downloads, and they all just sit there and say "This drive is not supported" or some equally non-useful message.  And the SSD doesn't show up in the list.

Does THIS SSD USE Magician?  If so, WHAT do I download and install?  If NOT, (or even if so), is there some documentation that provides whatever is needed to optimize this thing?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avx
Asteroid

Re: Magician for PM951?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

PM951 is a TLC (Triple Layer Cell) nVME drive (m.2 form factor), an equivalent to the 950 EVO. The PM (TLC) / SM (MLC) 951 and PM/SM 961 are OEM drives meant for manufacturers so any firmware updates have to come through them, also they won't be supported by Magician.

Honestly you don't really need Magician, it should work automatically as Windows will load the nVME driver (nvstore) by itself on install. I don't use it for anything other than firmware upgrades.

2 REPLIES 2
Monch Marcelino
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same NVME SSD and unfortunately, Magician does not work with OEM products. 

avx
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

PM951 is a TLC (Triple Layer Cell) nVME drive (m.2 form factor), an equivalent to the 950 EVO. The PM (TLC) / SM (MLC) 951 and PM/SM 961 are OEM drives meant for manufacturers so any firmware updates have to come through them, also they won't be supported by Magician.

Honestly you don't really need Magician, it should work automatically as Windows will load the nVME driver (nvstore) by itself on install. I don't use it for anything other than firmware upgrades.