cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userOj93dF9a0V
Constellation

Magician shows AHCI deactivated

I just put in a 860 QVO 1TB SSD and downloaded the latest version of Samsung Magician (5.3). Everything works except that Magician says that AHCI is deactivated. The drive is running at SATA II because that is all my motherboard supports. It also has the 760G AMD chipset. AHCI is on in the BIOS and speeds are where they should be. I'm getting 280 read and 206 write sequential speeds where the HDD it replaced was getting 173 and 163. I'm running Windows 10 Home 64bit in MBR mode. The motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2. It says it has a "Hybrid EFI" structure.

Is this just a bug in the Magician software? I tried older versions and they were worse. 4.9.7 says the drive is not Samsung and 5.2 says it is not supported. I did all the registry "fixes" and there was no change. Is it just because the motherboard is too old?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
useryEHG3syqTh
Cosmic Ray

Re: Magician shows AHCI deactivated

I have an AMD laptop and I saw that in Samsung Magician and after asking my manufacturer they said my chipset doesn't support all the AHCI features but some.

Then HP did diagnostics and performance is still similar as if I had a Intel Chipset.

Run a disk benchmark and if you get good write and read speeds you are fine.

Also don't cache in memory with AMD, AMD says will make your PC crash.

Supposedly Samsung follows Intel parameters for SSDs and AMD doesn't care.