Original topic:

Monitor shuts off randomly for short period - possibly sync problem?

(Topic created: 08-05-2021 05:09 AM)
userZa7nD8RqKG
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi,
I have fedora34 installed on my desktop with three monitors; two of them are older 27" Samsungs, and the third is a new 34" Samsung S34J55x. Occasionally, the 34" seems to shut off for a second, then comes back on and continues to work normally.

My video card is also new - it's a Radeon RX570. All three monitors are connected via displayport. All three monitors have brand new displayport cables.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior before? The other two monitors have never done this. However, when it happens, the other two seem to follow with shutting off for a second. It always seems to be driven by the new 34" monitor.

The problem is that, when this happens, all of the windows on the 34" monitor move to the 27" monitor on the right once the monitors turn on again.

This is not a power problem, as the entire computer is connected to the same power strip, backed by a 2200W UPS.

The system itself is a 12-core with 64GB of RAM, so certainly not slow.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

0 Likes
6 Replies
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

It sounds like it could be a resolution issue. Have you tried this set up with a different operating system? It could be a driver issue. 

0 Likes
userZa7nD8RqKG
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

It's looking like it was actually a loose displayport cable at the monitor. It hasn't happened again in a number of days. While I'm not convinced it's solved, it's increasingly looking like that.

I never thought a loose monitor cable would be the cause of the monitor momentarily going on and off once ever other day.

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am glad to hear that you are working again. Please let us know fir you need additional assistance.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userZa7nD8RqKG
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Actually, I spoke too soon. It just happened again for the first time in nearly a week.

I don't see how it could be a driver problem when it works fine for days and days. This is almost certainly a hardware problem now, but I don't know if it's the monitor or the cable. It's not the video card (even though it's relatively new) because it only happens to new 34" monitor.

If I send the monitor back under warranty, they would need to run it for a week in order to reproduce (or even confirm) the problem.

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

Could you please send the full model and serial numbers to this PM Link?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userZa7nD8RqKG
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Okay, message sent, thanks

0 Likes