Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userzj8CfP1gsi
Asteroid

My new 970 Evo is running too slowly.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just installed a new 500GB 970 Evo and benchmarked it (using CrystalDisk 6.0) to see what kind of performance I'm getting. My speed is about half of what I should be seeing:

500GB 970 Evo benchmark results.

Just about every benchmark I've seen puts the top scores at nearly twice what I'm getting (though my lower scores seem to be close to on target.) Most screenshots I've seen put that first result well over 3,400.

For comparison sake, I tested two SATA SSD drives and their scores appear to be on target.

If it matters (and it shouldn't), I am using a x4 PCIe adapter card and 64bit Windows 7. I disabled all background running processes (including my Antivirus) before running the test.

Is this normal for my configuration? Is there any way to improve my performance? TIA

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: My new 970 Evo is running too slowly.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Sequential scores are indicative of the  drive being run with 2 PCIE lanes from the motherboard and CPU instead of 4 for maximum performance.  It's a hardware issue and not a fault of the drive.

I have to run a 44 lane I9 7900X in order to have 4 lanes to each of the 8 960 and 970 drives on my Asus Rampage VI Apex motherboard.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Sequential scores are indicative of the  drive being run with 2 PCIE lanes from the motherboard and CPU instead of 4 for maximum performance.  It's a hardware issue and not a fault of the drive.

I have to run a 44 lane I9 7900X in order to have 4 lanes to each of the 8 960 and 970 drives on my Asus Rampage VI Apex motherboard.

View solution in original post

userzj8CfP1gsi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thx. I'm told elsewhere that my since my x4 PCIe slot is "2.0" instead of "3.0", that accounts for the lower performance.

Is this the same thing? Would 3.0 add the extra lanes?

userDtP3OfUPcT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes it is, running in x4 2.0 speed will max you out at around 2000mb give or take, as the PCIE 2.0 spec only carries 500mb per lane vs 985mb per lane for PCIE 3.0. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.