Original topic:

NVME Drivers for Windows installer? - I only see those you can install within Windows.

(Topic created on: 1/10/21 3:41 AM)
n13L5
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Clearly, finding and installing a driver from within windows is not very difficult.

But trying to feed the Windows-installer a working NVME driver, so it will use your new Samsung NVME M.2 SSD to install Windows on - I find literally no explantion for that anywhere.

The windows installer lacks useful features.  It can't even scan beyond the current folder, let alone give you an idea what it really wants to see.  Samsung's downloaded NVME driver (exe) got ignored.

Anyone know here?
Samsung Magician is all good, but you'd need Windows to be installed first, no?

The crux of the matter is needing the driver before being able to install Windows.
I've scoured the net for about a day now and found nothing that worked.

0 Likes
5 Replies
SHADOWGATE
Supernova
Options
Monitors and Memory
check XDA Developers. If you dont find the solution then post your Query Someone on there is more likely to be able to help you
0 Likes
n13L5
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Aren't XDA devs specializing in phones rather than computers?
I should probably talk to Samsung product support, since its a Samsung product. But I was hoping other customers of Samsung's SSDs might know.

0 Likes
SHADOWGATE
Supernova
Options
Monitors and Memory
No they focus in phones, tablets, computers, chromebooks and any and all in between. They enjoy developing as a whole. Alot of times you will find theres more support on XDA because someone there has run into the same issues and they have worked together to solve them.
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Microsoft inserts its' own NVME driver during initial Win 10 install.

Samsung's driver is considered a post install addition.

0 Likes
n13L5
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

True, but Windows 10 is like a haunted house - Microsoft keeps changing things continually.
Its not even the Telemetry I worry about - but they see fit to change my settings whenever they like.
Worse, if their windows updater routine thinks some of my software *might* be incompatible with the "update" they want to install, they will REMOVE that software without even a prompt to let you know.

To me, I only have the computer for the software I want to use, not for the Operating system becoming a higher purpose than the work I want to do.  I'm not renting the computer, I bought the parts and I built it. If an OS has an issue with me being in control, I will remove that OS and put one in that suits MY prime goal for my computer - that the software I use will be there and remain there and my settings will stay the way I have set them.  So in Microsoft's case, Windows 8.1 was the last OS that works according to my prerogative, to a sufficient degree.

An operating system should be an obsequious buttler, rather than trying to be the master in the house.
Quite likely, that Microsoft makes it hard to find an NVME driver, because they want to get everybody on Windows 10.  Since Samsung is the manufacturer of these drives, they should be able to point you to a driver to use them.  But I will certainly try the XDA guys...