cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userBYuvhi9MLA
Constellation

NVME driver causes "internal power error" on resume in win10 1809

JUMP TO SOLUTION

With the nvme driver installed, after upgrading to win10 1809 windows is giving a BSOD whenever waking from sleep. Uninstall the driver and it works perfectly.

Wasn't certain it was the samsung nvme driver, but I did a fresh install of 1809, testing wake from sleep as I installed each driver to find the culprit and confirmed it defintiely is the nvme driver.

I have a gigabyte x299 gaming 7  motherboard. This could be related to that chipset specifically. There's a few other reports here https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/119040-bluescreen-after-1809-october-update.html

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rlh1975
Constellation

Re: NVME driver causes "internal power error" on resume in win10 1809

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have 3 samsung m.2 nvme drives installed on a Asus Hero IX, no standard ssds. 2 on the motherboard and one via pcie adaptor. Windows 18.09 build 17763.194 (current version as of december). With only one M.2 card installed, the system resumed from sleep and windows fast boot correctly.  As soon as I added a second m.2 card, bsod (internal power error) on resume from sleep or fast boot using the current samsung nvme drivers 3.0). Uninstalled the samsung drivers and it fixed the issue. I spent a whole day troubling shooting and reinstalling windows and graphics drivers due to this error. Very maddening. SAMSUNG, please update your drivers or get with Microsoft and get a fix out. Current NVME drivers don't work properly when more than one is installed and NO I'm not going to try and download an old version on windows and do another reinstall and try to block windows updates.. Very angry as I just bought a 970 1tb pro... Hopefully this helps anyone else having this issue.

45 REPLIES 45
ddaniel51
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

1809 has been removed from release due to serious bugs.

userBYuvhi9MLA
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not for reasons related to this driver though.

userOWcikIriCL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have this same issue, crash dump analysis shows it is the Samsung 3.0 nvme drive. Also on 1809 (with slow ring patches).

Others too

https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/119040-bluescreen-after-1809-october-update.html

userib823cfxWi
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same issue after upgrading to 1809 - the newly re-released version --- not the one that was pulled.

Resume from sleep results in BSOD with 'internal power error'

Using NVMe driver 3.0

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi userBYuvhi9MLA,

Microsoft released a new patch for Windows 1809 update yesterday 12/11/2018 to solve a few other issues with that version of Windows 10 that have been found. I'd suggest contacting Microsoft to check to see if there are any issues within your windows install if you are getting BSODs and power related issues. Alternatively, if it is a possiblity for you. You can try a previous build of windows or a clean install of windows to see if the issue continues with the NVMe driver as there are users who are using windows 10 with the NVMe 3.0 drivers and have no issues.

Ataulf
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have found that the NVME ver. 3 driver is the culprit.

I have recently bought two 970 EVO drives; first a 250 GB version, but after running with it for a while I found 500 GB at a nice price.

Running either the 250 or 500 GB version *alone* with the NVME ver. 3 driver works just fine.

My motherboard, the ASUS X99 SABERTOOTH, only comes with one M.2 connector, so I purchased two different NVME to PCIe adapter to attach the second 970 EVO (the one without Windows 10). This made my system crash after resuming from sleep with the BSOD INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR message (I have to wait a couple of minutes to invoke the error, because if I resume the computer to quickly it will work just fine). Same error with the two different NVME to PCIe adapters.

I then found this thread and this one: https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/119040-bluescreen-after-1809-october-update.html

My next step was to remove the Samsung NVME ver. 3 driver and that fixed my BSOD issues completely! I am currently running with the built-in driver from Microsoft.

So Samsung please get cracking at fixing the driver so that your customers experiencing the bug can install the driver (again) - thanks :-)

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hi Ataulf,
The NVMe driver does work within Windows 10 and does not have issues with previous version of Windows 10. If you look online, 1809 has caused issues with multiple drivers for different products. Using 1809 with the NVMe driver is what's triggering the BSOD, but the driver is not the source of the problem.
I'm currently using 1809 with my NVME drive installed and other users on this forum are too. Microsoft released a patch yesterday 12/11/2018, which means there were still issues found with 1809.
Ataulf
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Using 1809 with the standard built-in NVMe driver works perfectly with my 970 EVO 500 GB and 250GB drives running in the system.

Using 1809 with the Samsung ver. 3 NVMe driver works perfectly with my system with either the 970 EVO 500 GB or the 250GB drive.

However using 1809 with the Samsung ver. 3 NVMe driver makes my system BSOD after returning from sleep with my 970 EVO 500 GB and 250GB drives running in my system.

All logic points to a Samsung driver issue, when the Windows 10 built-in driver works, but the Samsung ver. 3 does not.

userlvBA7baFUc
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Ataulf wrote:

Using 1809 with the standard built-in NVMe driver works perfectly with my 970 EVO 500 GB and 250GB drives running in the system.

Using 1809 with the Samsung ver. 3 NVMe driver works perfectly with my system with either the 970 EVO 500 GB or the 250GB drive.

However using 1809 with the Samsung ver. 3 NVMe driver makes my system BSOD after returning from sleep with my 970 EVO 500 GB and 250GB drives running in my system.

All logic points to a Samsung driver issue, when the Windows 10 built-in driver works, but the Samsung ver. 3 does not.

Same situation for me. After upgrade to 1809 I get BSOD after returning from sleep. With 1803 I had no issues.

I went to the standard MS NVMe driver and everything seems to be ok.

I hope Samsung can investigate this with higher priority, maybe together with MS. Either we get an Update via Windows or a new version of Samsung NVMe driver. Customers need a solution.

I own the Gigabyte Aero 15x Notebook and use the 970 Evo 1 GB as a second SSD drive.