Original topic:

Odyssey G8 OLED monitor and OS issues

(Topic created: 10-19-2023 02:35 AM)
Shintanaru
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I've recently purchased the Odyssey G8 OLED monitor. In general, it's great except for some annoying issues:

The DP input is not recognized after the Windows PC turns off the screen. I've noticed that this issue is quite commonly faced among other Samsung monitor owners.

I've tried different options:
- Turning the monitor off and on.
- Plugging/unplugging the DP cable (this helps at least so i wont have to restart, when plugging       in again the desktop shows up, but this is a workaround, no solution)
- Turning on/off Auto Source Switch+ in the monitor settings.
- Turning off ASPM for all links in PCI Express -> Link State Power Management on a Windows PC.

None of the above-mentioned options helped. The video input however is detected after restarting the PC.

The Netflix native app (also Disney, Apple Movie, YouTube and so on) for Tizen OS doesn't support a 21:9 ratio. The Tizen OS has vertical and horizontal black bars. Indeed, this seems to be a third-party app issue, but maybe the support team could forward this to the relevant department?

Also when HDR turned on, i noticed that after exiting some Games (like Minecraft for example) the overall brightness stays really low. Only can be fixed by turning HDR off and on again or restarting the PC.

Specs:

• Monitor software version: 1504
  • Windows 11 version: 22H2, OS build 22621.2428
    RTX 4080, Driver version: 545.84
    Connected via the included miniDP to DP cable

9 Replies
Bwlucas
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same issues. Why has there been no response from Samsung to this post? Do we need to contact the better buisness bureau?

Blunt7
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Having the same issue with my PC, it won't detect the DP video source if my PC goes to sleep and wakes up. It is a shame since I really like what the display does but this defect ruins it completely.

8uperm4n
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have 2 of these monitors in my home and both have the same issue with their DisplayPorts not waking after the PC (multiple different PCs and laptops and an eGPU) goes to sleep and wakes up again. Almost threw one off my desk with frustration today - thankfully I did not do that, but the urge was strong. Samsung has failed at technology outside of mobile and they do not care, this is why I avoid them where I can now. Sad, but until their attitude improves I will not try them again.

0 Likes
ggiatrakos
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same here, any news if they intend to fix the issue with firmware update?

Did you make a technical support ticket @8uperm4n ?

0 Likes
8uperm4n
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

With my history with Samsung support, for example, their Galaxy Gear S3 that died 1 week after warranty, and their Galaxy Buds plus issues, I will not waste my time sending in requests. Also, I have seen so many submit this issue online, if Samsung isn't aware then they are worse than what I give them credit for. If they are aware, they just don't care to address this or they cannot address it due to hardware design. If it is hardware, I would respect them if they just admitted that and then gave steps to get the monitor to wake up manually. However, I do know that admitting a hardware design flaw would potentially open them up to legal issues. So, they do what most unethical companies do, just keep quiet and wait for the storm to die down and move on to the next product to make money from.

0 Likes
rarieg
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am having a similar issue. When my I change it to game mode the monitor stops picking up signal via display port. On top of all that refresh rate is max out  120HZ.

The monitor is on the latest firmware version and all my drivers are up to date.

0 Likes
samsungatune
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Just got this monitor and also experiencing the 21:9 movie issue -- black bars on all 4 sides. Super annoying, is there seriously no fix? I do know about the Zoom option (was active for Prime Video but greyed out for Netflix?) but that seems like a band-aid. Sucks having an ultra-widescreen and seeing so much black space wasted

0 Likes
samsungatune
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

To follow up with the 21:9 aspect movie streaming issue, I have found both Netflix and Prime Video apps in Samsung do not play actual 21:9 movies full screen. I checked a few movies that actually do show in 21:9 when streamed from a browser (i.e. netflix.com on Safari) and they play full screen 21:9. Those same movies are still letterboxed when streamed through the Netflix or Prime Video apps in Samsung. This is even more frustrating -- it seems the Tizen apps don't even allow for full screen 21:9, even if it's native for the movie. **bleep**

0 Likes
samsungatune
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

To wrap up, just got off a call with samsung support. The guy was about as helpful as he could have been, no intimate knowledge of this issue but did go through some troubleshooting steps. Eventually he found a reference on the Netflix forum that essentially was that Netflix app on Samsung does not natively support 21:9. I asked him to send me the link but so far haven't received it. Regardless, assuming this is true, it's a Netflix thing. Presumably this carries over to Prime video app and maybe others as well.

One of the draws for me with this monitor was actually using the Samsung smart interface to stream movies, as they seem to look better than streaming them from a browser. This really puts a damper on that

0 Likes