Original topic:

Odyssey Neo G9 HDR makes the whole screen washed out

(Topic created: 08-06-2021 05:03 PM)
uservb5zTpQO0y
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Contrary to my Asus with HDR enabled, the Windows desktop when HDR is on is comically washed out. No amount of fiddling with the SDR content brightness was enough (contraty to my PG35VQ, where I could find a pretty good middle ground for the desktop to not look completely washed out).It is looking so much worse than my 2 other displays.

Local Dimming @ Auto, regardless of what the monitor's OSD says, also applies some degree of local dimming to SDR content, but not much. Forcing it to low or high really hides much of the blooming, but with the same side effect as the previously mentioned HDR issue.

HDR content doesn't react to HDR activated.

Looks like several people have this problem, seems like this is a Firmware problem that needs to be resolved!

8 Replies
userN9zlgqI4vd
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same thing happening with my brand new Neo G9. HDR is unusable at this state.

240hz goes black for a second from time to time. Backlight flickering is present and neither 120hz or VRR control fixes the issue.

How can Samsung sell a monitor like this?

userNrsF1187X0
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yup Same here, HDR does not work !!!!!!, think my Neo G9 is going back within 30 days, which is a shame, I would like to know how most of the Sponsored Youtube reviews are Favourable, Geez come on Samsung sort yourselves out, One very disgruntled owner......

userNrsF1187X0
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I Have found a work around for my rtx3090, moving the brightness slider level to 70 and digital vibrance slider to 60 in nvidia control panel, however shadow of the tomb raider still looks **bleep**, but grid 2019 looked great, gonna try gears of war 5 now....

0 Likes
userKklOE84jwc
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same here, HDR is no good, otherwise a good monitor. There appears to have been widespread reports of the HDR not working so its certainly not an isolated incident. I dont understand how Samsung has not made any statement about it yet. Like we are aware, we are investigating... nothing...

userUSExyHlR20
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I can confirm the issue as well. Really hope this gets addressed.

userT75QL6My1k
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same issue here. Running latest 1006.1 firmware, Nvidia 3080Ti and tried both windows 10 and 11. 

Hopefully a fix is in the work. Would be great if someone from Samsung support could confirm..

RobertZD
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same issue. I was trying Battlefield V and it switched it to HDR on 240 htz and won't come off now. Even with a reset on it I'm unable to get HDR mode off unless I go down to 120 htz.

userMKQny75210
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Wanted to add my 2 cents to this issue. Received my Neo G9 last weekend and have since updated to the latest firmware 1006.1. HDR is extremely washed out in almost all gaming content. SDR is fantastic, I have an LG C9 that I had connected to my PC before and the difference is staggering (not just the difference between OLED and non OLED). I did some comparisons with HDR on versus off on both monitors and the G9 holds its own (or is better) when playing in SDR. 

HDR is just too washed out to make it viable, I believe the only two games that I've tested so far where it seems to work ok is Sea of Thieves and Far Cry 5. 

0 Likes