Original topic:

PLEASE HELP ME! 970 EVO REBOOT ISSUES! THANK YOU

(Topic created on: 4/5/21 11:20 PM)
userL50HsuQHBS
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Ill try to make this as short and to the point as possible. I've been battling this problem for about two weeks, and I have pretty much zeroed in on the problem being my new Samsung 970 EVO m.2 SSD.

Backstory: My PC originally had my OS and ran off a WD Green SATA SSD. I then purchased and replaced it with my 970 EVO 1 TB. I had NO reboot issues prior to the installation of my 970. Since the installation of my 970 EVO I have incurred my current dilemma. I have tried BOTH m.2 slots on my Mother Board and this has not corrected the issue. I have a ASUS X570 TUF Plus mother board and according to PC Parts picker the components are compatible.

Problem: I have done COUNTLESS hours of research into this (literally not exaggerating). I have a VERY specific issue: My PC ONLY boots back to login screen while installing games. I have 3 installed platforms: Steam, GOG and Epic. No matter what the game, or the platform, while during installation my PC will reboot to the Windows login screen. IT DOES NOT completely reboot and restart the computer itself. It only kicks me out of Windows, back to the profile login screen. It also does this randomly during installations. For example: AC Valhalla will usually install up to around 30%, then it will reboot. This has consistently happened over a dozen times. A few times it has happened earlier. The same happened with other games; they would install a certain length, then a reboot to login screen would occur. It only happens with game installation, not streaming (as of yet) or web browsing. Ive run Samasung Magician and countless other diagnostic programs in hopes of finding the problem. ALL of them said the SSD drive's health is good.

Plea: I have read countless of forums with EVO owners with similar reboot issues, but none of them have the specific problem I am having. Also, I have yet to read a single forum that provided any solution. A faulty power supply was cited many times, but I am inclined to believe this is not the case. My PC is built entirely new in November, and the reboot does restart the entire PC. It only kicks me out to the profile login screen. Nothing actually powers down. Please can anyone help me? This issue has driven me mad trying to solve. I have observed these types of problems are rampant with these Samsung SSDs from all the reading Ive done on the internet. Thank you very much for your time.

0 Likes
10 Replies
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

A few questions:  How did you install Win10 on the Evo?  Did you clone the WD or do a fresh install to allow Win10 to recognize the Evo and prepare for it?

Which CPU are you using?  This determines which features are available on your motherboard. Refer to your User Manual.

What size is your power supply?

Ok, there is a new Bios available for your board and I suggest you use it.  Refer to your User Manual.

Actually the 980 series SSD is a better fit for the board as it is PCIe 4 (twice as fast as the Evo), not PCIe 3 like the Evo.

I run 8 NVME SSD's on my Asus gaming board, 960 Pros, 970 Pro, 980 Pro, 970 EVO, four of which have various OS's installed including the Evo and have no issues with any of them.

Once you update the Bios and if you still have a problem I suggest a complete fresh install of Win10, not a clone of the WD.

0 Likes
userL50HsuQHBS
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Daniel THANK you for taking the time to respond. 

I installed the OS with a clean wipe and install. It was a necessity because the Samung clone didnt take with the migration tool provided by Samsungs website. So the OS was a clean install from scratch. I have no other  problems with it booting up, or operating. 

My CPU is a Ryzen 9 5900X 

My power supply is a 800 Watts Standard 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU

I considered the 980 but I got the 970 on sale and the 980 was out of my immediate price range. 

I will try updating the BIOS. Do you preliminarily think that is the issue? 

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Strange board interface issue triggered by large volume data transfers.  Hopefully the Bios will help and keep an eye on the Asus support for more updates.

In the meantime save up your coins for a 1TB 980 Pro.  You'll be glad you did...

0 Likes
userL50HsuQHBS
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

So the problem just got even more perplexing. 

I took your advice and I updated the BIOS. In the process I had to do yet another clean install of windows and reformat the 970 from MBR to GPT. This time, IT WORKED! I was able to down load AC Valhalla in its entirety with NO REBOOTS! 

However, I noticed that my WD Black 4TB HDD was not showing up in my windows PC memory. It did show up in the mother board BIOS, but not in Windows. I went into Disk management, reallocated the HDD as common disk space, renamed the volume, and the HDD now appeared as memory space. The usual tutorial for making a non appearing HDD appear. 

However, NOW the reboot loop started again. This has become so infuriating I dont know what to do. As soon as one thing gets fixed, something else goes wrong. Its the same thing all over again, as soon as something installs, the PC reboots. Only now its not just games that do it, now its even down loading platforms like Steam and GOG. If it helps I have 3 drives:

The 970 m.2 SSD, a WD Green 2 TB SATA, and a WD Black 4TB. I am unsure if three different types of drives simultaneously working together would cause a problem. 

0 Likes
userL50HsuQHBS
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I should also mention that Windows OS is NOT installed on any other drive, and none of the other drives contain any OS files. I installed AC Valhalla to the new 970 EVO. The rest of the programs I tried installing to the WD Black because of the 4TB. I dont know if this is helpful. Thank you very much again for your time and help

0 Likes
userL50HsuQHBS
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Also I cannot restart the computer by clicking the "Shutdown" power option. I have to manually press the power button on my tower case. This is madness

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yep, Win10 and NVME need GPT & Eufi.  Check the Bios Boot section, set booting for Eufi first.

Disconnect the Sata drives then see what problems remain.

Check your User Manual to see what Sata ports share bandwidth with the M.2 and stay off them.

userL50HsuQHBS
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

with the Boot section, I will definitely try that tomorrow when I get home. I believe all drives should be formatted to GPT now. As you know the 970 originally was MRB but I manually changed that to GPT. So they should all be the correct format now correct?

Also with the SATA drives. So ive tried the 970 in two different m.2 ports. One directly underneath the CPU and the other on the far side of the mother board. The problem has happened in both slots, so wouldnt that mean that no matter where the m.2 is, its going to share bandwith the SATA drives? 

Also I should mention that after the initial BIOS update, and everything was working correctly again, ALL 3 drives were connected simultaneously. It was only after I reformatted the WD Black HDD that this issue rose up again. I dont know if that makes a difference. 

I really apologize if I am over complicating this, and I truly dont mean to waste your time. This is my first PC building experience and I am trying genuinely study, learn, and deeply understand how to be self sustaining in taking care of my hardware. Im trying to learn as much as I can so when these issues occur I can resolve them and hopefully help others someday to pay it forward. Thank you very much for taking the time to stay this long and walk me through this

0 Likes
userL50HsuQHBS
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

So yet another problem has arisen. I got home this morning to attempt your suggestion. Disconnected all drives except the 970 which had the Windows 10 OS. Started up the PC. Instead of going to the home login screen, it went to the blue Windows 10 set up install screen. It literally clean installed itself somehow since last night when I used it last and turned it off. When I turned it off last night it was working fine.  At this point Im absolutely convinced: its either the 970 is faulty or my copy of Windows 10 OS is. It HAS to be one of the two. What do you think?

0 Likes