cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userG5lheSmgex
Asteroid

SSD 860 EVO 500 GB

Just bought / received two 860 EVO 500 gb ssds from Amazon.

SN S3Z1NY0M555599R and SN S3Z1NB0M511994R

Neitherr Windows 10 'My Computer" nor Disk Managemen see them.   My Desktop is a new HP with a ssd 120 GB C: drive and 8 GB memory.

I'm trying to use a docking station.  Neither drive is recognized in the USB 3.0 nor the USB 2.0 station. Both stations recognize other SSD drives.

I downloaded Samsung Magician, but it  does not recognize the drive. I think it is looking at the C: drive, which is not Samsung, but I do not see a way of changing which drive Magician is looking at.

Is there a link to an article about how to format, partition, and install the driives.

All help will be GREATLY appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
userpOJrI1rBzQ
Asteroid

I'm not sure if this would help you at all, but I had an...

I'm not sure if this would help you at all, but I had an issue installing a new OS on a Samsung 840 EVO (a while back) and use the 4 TB HDD as the drive for files, documents, music (had to change drive location in settings) so that the SSD would be able to access those files in the 4TB drive that way I wouldn't have to take up space on the SSD with junk, temporary files (which take up A LOT of space), etc. I kept trying and trying and the computer would not recognize the SSD. Finally, I came across a thread which wasn't as helpful as I had hoped. However, it did give me a hint when the forum said "any drive interfering with the SSD will prevent certain things." So I unplugged all of the HDD drives I had from the Motherboard and plugged in only the SSD. Finally, BIOS recognized the SSD drive and I was able to install it. The installation was off of a Micro SD card because I had disconnected the peripherals (Optical Drives and such). Later, I encountered another issue. I had purchased a Seagate 4TB External Desktop Drive and a 1TB Portable Expansion drive. The computer would only recognize the 4TB Desktop External Drive but not the Portable Drive. I tested this on my laptop and sure enough the laptop recognized BOTH. I'm still digging as to why it wouldn't recognize both the Desktop Drive (where you have to plug it into a power source) and a Portable Drive (Super Speed USB 3.1). I know the Seagate drives might not have any relevance to the SSD drives, but there might be some sort of correlation. Download HD Tune Pro and see if it recognizes the drives. Or even Crystal Disk Info, Crystal Disk Mark, any partition programs like Paragon (one of the best), Acronis Partition Manager. I would recommend you purchase an SATAIII to USB 3.0 converter, that way you can plug the SATAIII port to the SSD and the other to the Desktop, try a laptop as well and see what happens. I hope some of this information will help you. If not, at least you have some leads.

userpOJrI1rBzQ
Asteroid

You could also contact Samsung and give them the serial n...

You could also contact Samsung and give them the serial numbers. They might be DOA (Dead On Arrival).

userpOJrI1rBzQ
Asteroid

Partitioning is very simple by the way. All you have to d...

Partitioning is very simple by the way. All you have to do is have one of the programs I listed (Acronis, Paragon or even Partition Magic...as old as it is, it will work). All you have to do is select the drive you want to partition, then a cursor type bar will appear. Next you just slide the bar towards the portion of the drive that has the most space then let go of the bar. It will ask you if you want to partition this drive, etc, etc. Click yes, and you'll have however much space you selected in the same drive. There's even a way to run multiple Operating Systems by doing that. Or just using different drives.

userG5lheSmgex
Asteroid

Re: Partitioning is very simple by the way. All you have to d...

@userpOJrI1rBzQ -- Thanks, many thanks, for your quick replies. 
I disconnected everything, including the printer, to see if there was some kind of conflict.  Didn't help.
After spending hours googling the problem, some people say that SSDs have to be formatted before using, except a fresh install of Windows will do the formatting.  I want to use these as data drives, so I'm uncertain about formatting being required. 
I don't think I could install Windows, since the drives do not show up in the BIOS.
The drives shows up in the bottom pane of Windows Disk Management, showing 465.76 GN. They do not show up in the top pane. Right clicking on the drive number in the bottsom pane, then selecting Propertied then Volume, the volume is shown as 476,939 MEGABYTES!
I could format them from the pane in the bottom, but it recently took me 4 hours to format a 120 GB ddata drive.  I reformatted it because I could not find a way to TRIM it.
I called Samsung.  Their SSD support is from a third party, which is not open on weekends.  So I have to wait till Monday. 
Thanks again.

userG5lheSmgex
Asteroid

Re: Partitioning is very simple by the way. All you have to d...

Well, I feel a little bit stupid. The answer is that Samsung drives have to be formatted before use.  The Samsung CSR walked me through the process.  I already knew how - I just did not know it had to be done.

In my own defense, I spent several hours with Uncle Google researching the problem. I found NO site / blog that said that SSDs need to be formatted. As a matter of fact, I found severaL that said formatting is not needed.

Both drives came nicely packed, with a teeny tiny booklet, mostly about warranty, written in several different languages. There are a few drawings about how to connecthe drive, BUT NOTHING IS MENTIONED ABOUT IT HAS TO BE FORMATTED.

I'm actually very angry about this, because of all the hours I spent researching it. Samsung makes some great products, but they need to hire someone to write their instructions.

Oh well..... Another day older, a little bit wiser.

Thanks again, @userpOJrI1rBzQ