Original topic:

SSD Best Practices

(Topic created on: 2/12/21 10:37 PM)
jdevola
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have owned a couple Samsung SSDs now for about 5 years, and I'm at the point now where I am trying to figure out how to properly maintain these considering that they are well broken in.  In the early days it seemed that most maintenance was done manually or occasionally with Samsung software.  However, nowadays I noticed that Windows 10, for example, seems to include maintenance software for SSDs, as well as optimization options that weren't existent before.  In addition, there are power settings and other settings that might affect the SSDs.

I hesitate to trust Microsoft to maintain or properly default such settings, and it would be great to have some advice regarding proper settings and maintenance of these drives.

For example, in the power settings, there is now not only a High Performance setting, but an SSD High Performance setting.  I have set TRIM on, but then there is also an optimization option (on/off) that seems to be tailored for SSDs (I know before we were warned to avoid optimization because for HDD that meant defragging, which is not supposed to be done for SSDs).

Another thing I noted in the Samsung Magician software was "wear leveling" so I got to wondering if I should reconfigure my partitions (I have 3 partitions currently on each SSD, which I set up initially to make imaging easier).  So, I was wondering if it is a good idea to periodically (e.g., every 5 years or so) to completely wipe the SSD and "reformat" - is this helpful/harmful?

I was surprised to see no information here, so maybe people care to chime in?  Add additional questions?  I plan to do some research and report back, but it would be even better to hear from SAMSUNG regarding proper long-term care/maintenance of THEIR SSDs, since they designed them and would know best (from the horse's mouth, as it were).

Look forward to hearing any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, advice, questions, anything.  Thanks!

0 Replies