cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

SSD for my Asus N580VD

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hopefully this won't post twice, anyway I have an Asus N580VD-IH74T laptop. I bought it for video editing but since I bought it I also want to use it as a gaming laptop. It came with the C: boot drive with 256GB SSD and a 2TB 5,400 RPM HDD. I want to upgrade the SSD to a 970 EVO NVMe M.2 2TB but want to make sure this is the correct drive for my laptop. If so what's the best way to transfer contents from my current SSD to the new SSD... It has 16GB of RAM, an NVIDIA GTX 1050 4GB graphics card, a Intel 4 Core i7-7700HQ CPU and Win 10 Home. For now I am using a  Glyph Atom RAID, 2TB external SSD for my gaming drive.... thanks to all.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cosmic Ray

Re: SSD for my Asus N580VD

JUMP TO SOLUTION

sorry to say  , your laptop does not support NVme  ssd   , so  dont upgrade because  NVMe slot does not on the motherboard .

If you want to really test means , if your laptop is still under warranty means , take to asus service center and ask him to apply thermal paste on CPU  and clean the dust in the fan , after opened the case , ask him to check NVMe solt is available or not 

here is the official technical specifications page from asus 

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Pro-15-N580VD/specifications/

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

sorry to say  , your laptop does not support NVme  ssd   , so  dont upgrade because  NVMe slot does not on the motherboard .

If you want to really test means , if your laptop is still under warranty means , take to asus service center and ask him to apply thermal paste on CPU  and clean the dust in the fan , after opened the case , ask him to check NVMe solt is available or not 

here is the official technical specifications page from asus 

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Pro-15-N580VD/specifications/

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello and thank you for the reply & the information. WIth this I have selected a WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB PC SSD - SATA III to replace the 256GB drive. The nearest service center is more than four hours away so it's really not an option for me otherwise it would be my first stop. thanks again, Blair... 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

you  can use onsite warranty service, 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It will work, i have installed a Samsung M2 NVMe PCIe ssd in my Asus N580VD laptop and it works fine. Read 3203 write 1537 , here is a link to a seller on Amazon selling the Asus N580VD upgraded to Samsung M2 NVMe PCIe ssd if you don't believe me .     https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-N580VD-DS76T-Enthusiast-i7-7700HQ-Touchscreen/dp/B0786ZJ6QT?th=1         Hope this helps you solve your problem . Also here is a link to Crucial saying that a PCIe NVMe SSD will work

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/vivobook-pro-15-n580vd

Also here is a link to Kingston that says that 32 GB of ram will work in Asus N580VD laptop      https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?model=97150&devicetype=3&mfr=ASU&line=VivoBook%20Pro

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

PLease I want  to upgrade my  Asus N580VD laptop but the specs says SATA 3 how did you do that?, I believe  the  SATA has two litle holes  and the  Samsung M2 NVMe PCIe  has only one , in the picture you can see the guy is upgrading a SATA memory that has 2 litle holes, the heat and other isues like bios and getting burn, how it works? for how long you have it working? please write me to oscarinpetrolero@gmail .comupgrade asus book pro samsung EVO.jpg

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My reply is on the next page.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Also one time about six months ago i shut down my laptop and disconnected the AC power, then when i got up next morning and turned on my laptop my battery was completely flat. Windows 10 never completely shuts down and can sometimes drain your battery overnight. My solution was to go to the desktop>right click>new short cut>insert "shutdown /s" without inverted commas. Then name it Computer Shutdown >pin to start. Now my laptop completely shuts down. No problems since . It takes a bit longer for the laptop to boot up only about 6 to 8 seconds, i think that even at my age of 75 years i can afford 6 to 8 seconds of my life every time i boot up my laptop. Any way it is much better that way because the UEFI and SSD drivers have time to load properly at startup. Sorry for my replies being all over the place but i can't just send one long reply , the web page won't let me. You will just have to read fully all my replies , even on the next page.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, agree, according to chipset spec it should work.

But I am wondering did you get perfomance boost? Is  your system loading faster now? I investigate that nvme can help for 4k monitors to render video etc, like in your example we have the notebook with 4k resolution.  Not sure that it will help for my notebook.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not with the motherboard in the Pro.  I installed the EVOPlus NVMe M.2 as well, and now I'm getting blue screens with no explanation.  The motherboard doesn't fully support the PCI-E config that the M.2 would take advantage of.  Google the difference and watch a vid. If you're lucky to have one of the newer ASUS motherboards that do support this interface, it's like 700x faster than SATA3 or PCI-SATA.  And these PCI drives are way cheap compared to their bigger brethren.

I've ordered a PCI-SATA version (the 2 slot like the one that came with the Pro).  It's under a $100 and the NVMe M.2 was $270.  Might as well save some bucks in the process.  An hopefully the bluescreens will go away (had one earlier while writing my first notes! -- 3rd today.