Original topic:

SSD for my Asus N580VD

(Topic created on: 8/12/18 8:56 AM)
Blair1955
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hopefully this won't post twice, anyway I have an Asus N580VD-IH74T laptop. I bought it for video editing but since I bought it I also want to use it as a gaming laptop. It came with the C: boot drive with 256GB SSD and a 2TB 5,400 RPM HDD. I want to upgrade the SSD to a 970 EVO NVMe M.2 2TB but want to make sure this is the correct drive for my laptop. If so what's the best way to transfer contents from my current SSD to the new SSD... It has 16GB of RAM, an NVIDIA GTX 1050 4GB graphics card, a Intel 4 Core i7-7700HQ CPU and Win 10 Home. For now I am using a  Glyph Atom RAID, 2TB external SSD for my gaming drive.... thanks to all.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
19 Replies
user2TnD9yEO2g
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

My reply is on the next page.

0 Likes
userZX9B8rsj5a
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, everything works fine and way quicker than the original SSD HDD, (I use the Samsung EVOPlus NVMe M.2 256 Go), and suddently it crashes and displays the BIOS screen for a couple of reboot until it finds the SSD again and boot normally.

A hint: it looks that it does it more when the laptop is idle and I reuse it after a while. I don't remember having a crash during my work.

It looks like the BIOS suddently "looses the SSD" and windows crashes because and can't get access to the disk.

Any news from your side?

0 Likes
user2TnD9yEO2g
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Make sure that you turn off fast boot in bios and windows, also don't let your laptop go to sleep or hibernate, only use screen saver. Also in your power settings in Windows make sure that turn off hard disks is set to -never.

0 Likes
user2TnD9yEO2g
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I just installed the Samsung M.2 970 Evo Plus 500GB. PCIe NVMe SSD in my Asus N580VD laptop and it is working very very well. Read all my other replies that i submitted here before when i installed the Samsung Evo . My speeds are Read-3337 Write-3088 .

0 Likes
user2TnD9yEO2g
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Did you really read and understand what i wrote? Read 3203 Write 1537 , try getting those speeds with Sata. Boot time is about 6 to 8 seconds but with fast boot turned off it is about 16 seconds.No heat problems yet , have been using laptop daily for about 18 months since installing Samsung NVMe PCIe , but as i said elsewhere mine is not the PLUS version . My reply keeps getting put under the wrong place , i am not replying to the person above my reply , but to the person that asked me if it was any faster , when i already gave my speed test results for the ssd. Also you should only do a clean install of Windows 10 onto your new M2 NVMe SSD with a USB or DVD with Windows 10 downloaded from Microsoft site because that includes the UEFI bootloader. Without that you probably won't see the new ssd at all. Do NOT CLONE your new ssd you can get problems in Windows , also Windows as it is installing optimises the installation for your ssd. Is the N580VD laptop 100 percent compatible with M2 NVMe SSD, i personally don't think so . If it was you wouldn't have to turn off fast boot and remove the battery etc. That is probably why Asus does not offer it as an upgrade. I have not had any problems with mine in over 18 months , only the problem i mentioned already when Windows updated my UEFI Bios.Never had a blue screen of death. Only time i ever had a BSOD was on an old 486 desktop many years ago running Windows 95. I don't know if the Samsung plus version will work , but it should, mine is not the plus version. Wern't available when i bought mine. 3203 Read 1537 Write Which is much faster than SATA that is about 500 to 600. 

0 Likes
userma8l1MFKuL
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Did you have to adjust anything in BIOS in other to NVMe to work?

Your old SSD M.2 (B+M key) was SATA and you replaced it with NVMe (M key) without any problems?

0 Likes
user2TnD9yEO2g
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Here is a link to Crucial saying that an NVMe PCIe ssd will work in Asus N580 VD laptop. I have been using a Samsung NVMe PCIe ssd in my N580VD laptop for two years now.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/vivobook-pro-15-n580vd

Manufactures of laptops don't want you to buy a cheaper laptop and hot it up. They want you to buy the more expensive model. Also Asus says for the N580VD maximum ram is 16 GB but 32 GB will work.in dual channel 16 GB in each slot. Even the entry level Asus X509 laptop will work with an NVMe PCIe ssd .But you won't find that information on Asus site . People have to stop looking on manufactures web sites for upgrades. When you first buy a laptop it is hit or miss if your upgrade will work , after about 12 months or more memory and ssd manufactures will test laptops and update what will definitely work. I still can't believe people are having problems upgrading the Asus N580VD laptop.  I don't know any more that i can add . I have submitted many messages here. Also here is a link to Kingston saying that you can install maximum of 32GB ram in N580VD laptop, but Crucial says only 16 GB     https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?model=97150&devicetype=3&mfr=ASU&line=VivoBook%20Pro           But 32 GB will definitely work . I am just trying to show you proof of what i am saying . I don't think there is any more that i can add . Any questions just ask and i will eventually reply.

0 Likes
user2TnD9yEO2g
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

It is more than one year since i replied to this problem, sorry for the delay in responding but i am 75 years old and live in the Philippines and my 33 year old girlfriend keeps me busy. I looked a couple of times for a few months after i originally posted my reply but no one was after any advice. I decided to check the other day because i was deleteing all my old bookmarks. Any way i will tell you fully my experience in installing a Samsung M2 NVMe PCIe ssd. My laptop is the Australian version Asus Vivobook Pro N580VD-DM264T 15.6 inch FHD I7 7700HQ 8 GB 1 TB GTX 1050/4G.W10. My Samsung ssd was not the plus version , the plus version was not available when i updated mine. Firstly you have to shutdown your laptop, then remove the battery and the old hard drive. Then you have to hold in the power button for about 30 seconds with the battery removed and the AC power supply removed. Then install the new Samsung NVMe PCIe ssd and then connect the AC power supply still leaving the old hard drive and the battery out . Then boot up with your Windows 10 installation disk installed that you previously  downloaded for free from the Microsoft site. and then windows installation disk should then see your new ssd. If you have problems like windows says that it can not see your ssd or windows can not be installed because windows detected that you have a system partition formated as NTFS ,format the EFI system partition as FAT32 and restart the installation . Ignore this and go to a command prompt and >Diskpart>list disk>clean>convert GPT>Then you can install windows , don't format, also don't make partitions, windows will do that automatically as it installs .Also it is better to turn off fast boot in the bios and also in windows 10 . To turn off fast boot in windows go to settings>system>power and sleep>additional power settings>choose what the power buttons do>change settings that are currently unavailable>at bottom of page turn on or off fast start up. If you don't turn off fast boot you might get a 

0 Likes
user2TnD9yEO2g
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Blue Screen Of Death. My message is too long and i have to  make it into two replies. One time when windows was updating it also updated my UEFI Bios to i think 317 and then my ssd disappeared, so i had to shut down my laptop and remove the battery and AC power supply and the old hard drive and hold in the power button on laptop for about 30 seconds , then boot up with only the AC power connected. Then when it booted into windows , shut it down and reinstall the battery and old hard drive and then reboot , been ok ever since. I have had the Samsung NVMe PCIe SSD installed for 18 months now and i use my laptop every day .The last time i had a Blue Screen Of Death was with Windows 95 forgotten. Remember to update the SSD drivers to Samsung otherwise you won't get full speed. Also download Samsung Magician. Also the drivers for the Samsung ssd seem to load last in some laptops , so if you don't turn off fast boot you might get problems in windows.

0 Likes
user2TnD9yEO2g
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Also do not CLONE your ssd it is better to do a clean install of windows 10 with a USB or DVD that you did after downloading  Windows 10 from Microsoft site for free after fully reading the instructions , because that comes with the UEFI bootloader , without that you will never see your new SSD in bios or anywhere else. But please read all my replies even on the next page. I can't believe that so many people are having problems installing an M2 NVMe SSD into these laptops. I will admit that this laptop is not 100 percent compatible with an M2 NVMe SSD but it definitely does work , and very well . 3203Read  1537 Write  Any more questions just ask but it might take me a while to reply. This web page won't let me make a long reply so am am sorry that i have many short repliies to the same problem.

@Blair1955 wrote:

Hopefully this won't post twice, anyway I have an Asus N580VD-IH74T laptop. I bought it for video editing but since I bought it I also want to use it as a gaming laptop. It came with the C: boot drive with 256GB SSD and a 2TB 5,400 RPM HDD. I want to upgrade the SSD to a 970 EVO NVMe M.2 2TB but want to make sure this is the correct drive for my laptop. If so what's the best way to transfer contents from my current SSD to the new SSD... It has 16GB of RAM, an NVIDIA GTX 1050 4GB graphics card, a Intel 4 Core i7-7700HQ CPU and Win 10 Home. For now I am using a  Glyph Atom RAID, 2TB external SSD for my gaming drive.... thanks to all.

0 Likes