cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userYtod2Dtk0f
Constellation

SSD installation strategy with multiple partitioned hard drives

I am working with a Dell xps 8300.  As far as I can tell it meets all requirements for installing an 860 EVO.  

My main hard drive disk(0) is partitioned into C and D drives. The operating system, Windows 10 64,  and all program files are stored in the C: partition.  My "user" files and other data files are stored in the D: partion. There are two other hard drives on the computer which store my media collection and backups. 

Will the Samsung migration tool handle this arrangement moving(copying) the contents of Drive C: (the operating system and all the program files) on to the ssd while maintaining the structure of the current disk(0)? If so, I assume that once installed the SSD will become Drive C and that the other drives will be given new drive letters.

Ultimately I would like to repartition the current disk(0) after removing the files on the current C: drive and have the resulting drive be D:.  Since windows currently points to the D: drive for the "User" files I'm hoping this will not be an issue.

Or is my strategy doomed to failure?

Thanks in advance

Terry

6 REPLIES 6

Re: SSD installation strategy with multiple partitioned hard drives

What size are the drives?  How full are they?

usernZoTczL0Pf
Constellation

Thanks for you reply.

Disk 0 =

39 mb OEM

13.25 GB Recovery 

C: 202.83 GB - 129 GB Free

D: 715.39 GB - 306 GB Free

The "User" files are on D: and the Op Sys and program files are on C:

After the migration of C: to the new SSD, I hope to reclaim(wipe) the current C: partition on Disk 0 and repartition it to one larger D: drive. This part gives me some concern. Will I be able to erase the current C: contents and repartition without wiping out the D: drive contents?

Highlighted
userYtod2Dtk0f
Constellation

@ddaniel51  Sorry!! I replied with the wrong account previously.  Just in case you weren't notified of my reply I'm repeating it here.

Thanks for you reply.

Disk 0 =

39 mb OEM

13.25 GB Recovery 

C: 202.83 GB - 129 GB Free

D: 715.39 GB - 306 GB Free

The "User" files are on D: and the Op Sys and program files are on C:

After the migration of C: to the new SSD, I hope to reclaim(wipe) the current C: partition on Disk 0 and repartition it to one larger D: drive. This part gives me some concern. Will I be able to erase the current C: contents and repartition without wiping out the D: drive contents?

Thanks again

What size is the 860?  If it's a 1TB I would clone the entire drive, remove the original and let the new drive stabilize with a few restarts.  Then add the old drive making sure to boot from the 860.  Delete the partitions on the old drive, create a new one and format it.

Copy the contents of the D on the 860 to the newly formatted drive and reassign the drive letters with disk management.  Use a utility like minitool partition wizard to remove the old D on the 860 and expand the C partition.

userYtod2Dtk0f
Constellation

Sorry I did't include that in my reply.  The SSD is 500 gb so it is too small to receive the entire Disk 0.

I just thought of an idea that may work.  I have a couple of other hdd's in this computer. One, drive f:, is 750 gb and has nothing but backups on it now which I can move off of it.  Basically my idea is to split the old disk 0 onto two different physical drives.

What if I clone the C: drive to the SSD and made it bootable and install it in sata 0?  (I have 2 sata III and 2 sata II.)

After making sure the SSD was bootable and stable I will clone the old D: drive to a newly reformatted drive f: changing the drive letter from f: to d:.  Then old disk 0 would still be in tact but now be taken out of the computer to allow the system to stabalize with the new C and D.

After making sure the SSD was stabalized and seeing the new drive D: for user files, I could reformat the old Disk 0 and use it for a backup drive.

This seems to be the most simple plan given the resources at hand.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Given the resources at hand, whatever floats your boat.

I run an Asus gaming motherboard with 8 Samsung nvme drives on it totaling 14TB.