cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userOrPrUhZjcd
Constellation

Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD firmware updates and Mac compatibility question

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bought this SSD for my daughter in 2015 for use in her Macbook Pro. I was wondering whether it is compatible with MacOS High Sierra and the APFS file system that is used when this is installed. Don't see any info on Samsung Support.

Also wondering about whether a firmware update is possible/available and whether this is necessary for MacOS High Sierra.  I saw an Amazon question where someone posted that you are supposed to use Samsung's Magician software for firmware updates but this does not run on Mac. They said that Samsung provides a workaround that lets you install and run the firmware update using a bootable DVD, but again, there is nothing I could find on Samsung's support page. Does anyone know if this is possible and where to find it?

Thanks in advance,

Vince

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD firmware updates and Mac compatibility questi

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Helllo userOrPrUhZjcd,

The 850 EVO should work fine with your system as long as it uses a SATA III connections, most newer MacBook Pros after 2013 use M.2 drives and similar products. We'd suggest looking into that first. However, the 850 SSDs do not require any firmware updates at this time. If you need to update the firmware in the future, you must create a boot-able disc using the firmware files and instructions found on our website. 

To obtain all of the available information for these drives please visit:

www.samsung.com/samsungssd 

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD firmware updates and Mac compatibility questi

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Helllo userOrPrUhZjcd,

The 850 EVO should work fine with your system as long as it uses a SATA III connections, most newer MacBook Pros after 2013 use M.2 drives and similar products. We'd suggest looking into that first. However, the 850 SSDs do not require any firmware updates at this time. If you need to update the firmware in the future, you must create a boot-able disc using the firmware files and instructions found on our website. 

To obtain all of the available information for these drives please visit:

www.samsung.com/samsungssd