cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user8GyGMO3m7q
Astronaut

Re: Samsung 850 EVO "This Drive is Not Supported" with Magician 5?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
My salf phone IMEI NO FAL PLZ halp mee
Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello user8GyGMO3m7q,

I apologize, but this is the wrong thread for support. Please repost in the cell phone support section of the Samsung community. We only provide support for memory product in this support section. 

userhUfp05qXak
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have an older computer without ahci and an nvidia controller (?). 850 EVO 500gb. Magician has never worked. Using v5 or v5.1 I get the following:

REKSamsungMagicianCapture.JPG

Any chance that I will ever be able to use my SSD to the utmost?

Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello AlexMartin,

Yes, in order for the Samsung Magician to detect your drive and all of its information the drive must be connected via SATA directly into your motherboard. The system must also have access to the internet in order for all SSD information to be verifyed.

userkDu60x0Pnj
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungRicky wrote:

Hello AlexMartin,

Yes, in order for the Samsung Magician to detect your drive and all of its information the drive must be connected via SATA directly into your motherboard. The system must also have access to the internet in order for all SSD information to be verifyed.

May I ask why it needs to call home in order to use this software with the drive I paid good money for? It is easy to confirm that v5.1 tries to reach out to Samsung in South Korea (112.106.186.155 at the moment). Unfortunately for people who whose work or ISP geoblock foreign destinations such as this, the software will not work. Very disappointing that Samsung requires an internet connection to call home to South Korea in order for Magician to work, which is something that previous versions did not require. 

userFWTRrEb1xB
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are an IT company, we configure all of our clients firewalls to Geo-block most foreign countries that do not have any services useful to US business users.  If SM is broken because of a connection to Korea, we will need to find another brand SSD, we have hundreds of EVO's installed.   We will not compromise our clients' security for your personal gain.  

I just verified opening access to the "Republic of Korea" on our firewall makes Magician happy.  Would love to know what other information it just passed to you.   Having flashbacks of the Samsung TV spying.

Please post a response of how your software will soon not be required to phone home across the world and violate multiple corporation security protocols,  or I will have a field day posting this info on every review site I find.  

Highlighted
Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userFWTRrEb1xB and @userkDu60x0Pnj,

Magician needs to contact the Samsung server to authenticate the drive. Once the drive is authenticated, you can use Magician without the internet connection. 

Magician is not required to use the SSDs.

From the installer:

What information is collected and why?
In order to provide Samsung Magician to you, to authenticate you and your device(s), to determine and provide the relevant versions of firmware and Samsung Magician, to improve our storage device software, and to provide other services that you requested related to your use of Samsung Magician, we need to collect information on you and the device. We collect the IP Address, the Samsung Magician version and language used, information about the storage device you use in connection with Samsung Magician (drive type and model, serial number, device ID, S.M.A.R.T. data, capacity, driver information, firmware version), and information about the PC or device used to access Samsung Magician (number of drivers installed, mainboard, CPU, memory size, storage controllers, operating system).

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userkDu60x0Pnj
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungDave wrote:

Hello @userFWTRrEb1xB and @userkDu60x0Pnj,

Magician needs to contact the Samsung server to authenticate the drive. Once the drive is authenticated, you can use Magician without the internet connection. 

Magician is not required to use the SSDs.

Yes, but Magician is required to use rapid mode.

@SamsungDave wrote:

From the installer:

What information is collected and why?
In order to provide Samsung Magician to you, to authenticate you and your device(s), to determine and provide the relevant versions of firmware and Samsung Magician, to improve our storage device software, and to provide other services that you requested related to your use of Samsung Magician, we need to collect information on you and the device. 

None of this information gathering was required with previous verisons of Magician which worked just fine. For example, Magician 4.9.6 reports my drive as genuine and allows all features of the software to be used, including Rapid mode, correct firmware version updates, etc.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userkDu60x0Pnj,

RAPID mode is nice to show good benchmarks, but unless you are doing some high end video editing or working with huge databases, or anything with high queue depth requirements, there is no performance difference.

It still had to connect to the server to get FW updates. Though, it doesn't report new FW anymore. It only does up to a certain version. Anything newer has to be done through the new Magician or via FW ISO. It also sent the same usage statistics that I posted from the installer. The Magician 4 versions had the same statements regarding data collection. It's just that now that it authenticates the unit is legit by checking the serial number against Samsung's server before allowing the full features of the program. Also, by doing so, it caters the feature to that specific drive. So you will see features for the 840 EVO that are not needed or seen by people with 850 EVOs.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userkDu60x0Pnj
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungDave wrote:

Hello @userkDu60x0Pnj,

RAPID mode is nice to show good benchmarks, but unless you are doing some high end video editing or working with huge databases, or anything with high queue depth requirements, there is no performance difference.

Yeah, well I do have workloads that benefit from rapid mode. Rapid mode is why I bought these drives. At the end of the day, it's clear Samsung is not interested in reverting back to not requiring a call home to South Korea, so 4.9.6 will continue to work for me until it's time to replace the drive with another brand that does not have an online requirement.