cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nebula

Re: Samsung 850 EVO "This Drive is Not Supported" with Magician 5?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userkDu60x0Pnj,

Except that version of the software does "call home". Also, the new version does not always have to be online. Just for the initial authentication of the drive.

You do not have to turn off your firewall. Just add the following to your whitelist:

*.samsungsemi.com

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userkDu60x0Pnj
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungDave wrote:

@userkDu60x0Pnj,

Except that version of the software does "call home". Also, the new version does not always have to be online. Just for the initial authentication of the drive.

You do not have to turn off your firewall. Just add the following to your whitelist:

*.samsungsemi.com

It is not calling home for drive authenticity checks. It is reporting the drive as genuine without this check, which is what is allowing me to enable rapid mode.

I never suggested having to turn off the firewall. Along with the other person, we restrict connectivity to destinations outside of the US. Adding an exception to allow data to be transmitted outside what we have specifically approved and control is kind of the whole point here. We're not going to allow a payload, especially one containing system information, to leave our network bound for foreign destinations. 

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userkDu60x0Pnj,

How do you think the old version authenticated the drive?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userkDu60x0Pnj
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungDave wrote:

@userkDu60x0Pnj,

How do you think the old version authenticated the drive?

Certainly not by calling home to  South Korea. Beyond that, it doesn't matter to me. 

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userkDu60x0Pnj,

Yes it did. Everything related to SSDs is located in South Korea. So when it athenticates the drive, it pings our South Korean server. Magician didn't have a database of serial numbers built in it would check.

userkDu60x0Pnj
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can see it attempting to for version updates and what not, and if you say this version reaches out for auth checks, then sure. Let's say it does that. However, I can assure you this isn't able to reach out to a South Korean ip address for an authenticity check and v 4.9.6 is right now saying this drive is genuine and v 5.1 is not.

But hey, it's whatever at this point. I've voiced my feedback about not being happy with this needing to call home for software functionality. Last samsung drive, yadda yadda, whatever else frustrated customers say.

userkDu60x0Pnj
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

And I guess the important point here is: Old versions work in my environment and new versions don't.

dotAge
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are managed in a Intranet and using a proxy to access the internet. I just tried the www.samsungsemi.com and found it is redirected to http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/ so I suppose that our network policy has not blocked Samsung's verification site but I refreshed many days and all failed. Could you please tell us the exact url then we can provide it to our network administrator? Thanks!

DvL Ax3l
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Upgrade from 4.9.7 to 5.2 and now my 850 Pro is not supported... What should I do? Rolling back?

userD01zL69Lk2
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was experiencing the exact same issue. Close Samsung Magician from the Nofication Area, then reopen with a stable internet connection. Rapid Mode now shows as supported on my Samsung Magician version 5.1.