cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userZgq1tpem80
Constellation

Re: Samsung 850 EVO "This Drive is Not Supported" with Magician 5?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Magician 5 can not check myEVO 850.  I ran Seagate Sea Tools to check the Samsung 850 and Seagate said the SSD was OK.

Highlighted
usertNHTyt1EdD
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I just cloned my 750 to my 860 m.2. At first it said no geniune, but then I did an update to 5.3, and it worked just fine.

userVFaUfL3ybk
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SamsungDave:

After upgrading to Magician 5.1.0, it doesn't recognise my 850 Pro SSD system drive at all.  It recognises my ancient Samsung HDD, but completely ignores the SSD.  I'm running Win 10 on an Asus P6T SE motherboard, via a Startech 6 Gbps PCI Express plug-in SATA controller card.  It's all worked perfectly for the last 18 months, until now.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled Magician v5.1, I've downloaded and installed the latest Startech/Marvell drivers for the card, I've refreshed Magician until I'm blue in the face.  Attached is a screen-shot of what it has to say.

I can't find a v4.9.7 to downgrade to - I can't find it on Samsung's support area.

Have you any further suggestions?

Regards

dunbankin

userVFaUfL3ybk
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I should also add that I've always run the v5.1 install as Administrator.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi userVFaUfL3ybk,

Its because the adapter card you are using uses a Marvell controller. Try updating the driver for the Marvell controller or using the SSD through the primary Intel SATA port on your motherboard. Updating the Marvell driver might not make a difference as Magician doesn't support 3rd party controllers. Only Intel, AMD, and older Nvidia controllers are supported.

Marvell and ASmedia sometime work on some version of Magician, but its not guarenteed to work.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userVFaUfL3ybk
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SamsungDave:  Thanks for the advice about Magician v5.x not supporting Marvell-based expansion cards.  Irritating that the previous version of Magician did.  My ancient motherboard only supports SATA2, hence the SATA3 card.  I'll try plugging the SSD into a mobo SATA2 socket when I need to check the drive info from Magician. 

Meanwhile, I can't find the previous (pre-v5.0) version of Magician anywhere on Samsung's site.  Can you advise me where to get Magician v4.9.7 (I only have v4.4 on the supplied CD)? 

userPBMPDWcMjD
Constellation

Samsung 850 Pro 512gb w/Magician 5.0 "this drive is not supported".

JUMP TO SOLUTION

All of a sudden Samsung Magician 5.0 states my 850 Pro 512 SSD is "not supported". Everything was working fine 2 days ago, (no new updates or changes on my end, Windows 10 Home) and now the Magician software is stating the drive is "not supported". 

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Magician 5.0, but the problem remains. In Device Manager, Windows 10 still recognizes the drive as Samsung 850 Pro 512g SSD, but Magician 5.0 does not. 

Any help/ideas as to fix? Thanks in advance. 

userDmessPXqiZ
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same issue. I had my firewall set up to block traffic to and from Asia. Magician needs access to a server in South Korea in order to recognize the drive. After allowing the traffic it works fine.

userJx1wQ88HVx
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same problem. In the box with the SSD it says to download Samsung Magician however it turns out this software only works if both drives connected through an internal SATA connection, if you're using USB it will not recognize. After a lot of trial and error I finally found out that the correct software to use is Samsung Data Migration which can be found at samsung.com/samsungssd or https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/overview/ then go to "Download Tools & Software" click on it and you'll see a spot to download "Data Migration" install and you're all set. I went from a 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD and it resized partitions automatically when it finished I took out the old HDD and put in the SSD and stared the computer with no issues.

treflip
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I have same problem on 1 tb 860. I just bought off newegg on ebay. It says invalid serial. I tried turning off firewall and no luck. Is this a garbage drive? I can't clone my laptop drive to it either because it fails to write to a sector...