cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ImpetuousRacer
Asteroid

Samsung 850 EVO "This Drive is Not Supported" with Magician 5?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I purchased a brand new MZ-75E500B/AM from BestBuy. Installed it into an Asus M51AD-B08 desktop. The SSD has the latest firmware. I have the latest Intel RST drivers installed. I have all of the latest system drivers installed. BIOS has AHCI enabled and Hot Plug Enabled. Im on Windows 10 Creators Update.

Magician 4.9.7 authenticates the drive as genuine and shows the drive fully supported. However, Magician 5 shows the serial, the name of the drive, AHCI enabled, Trim Enabled, Sata 6.0 interface, but the top portion shows "This drive is not supported". I'm at a loss as to why? Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ImpetuousRacer
Asteroid

Re: Samsung 850 EVO "This Drive is Not Supported" with Magician 5?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I emailed Samsung support for SSD and here was the issue:

"It may have been a verification issue with our serves identifying the drives. Some users have reported the same issue with a 'Refresh' being the solution. We have contacted our Software Support regarding this."

So if issue happens again, problem is likely their verification server is down. Just keep refreshing until it's back up.

i imagine 4.9.7 doesn't use a verification server and that they implemented that in version 5 to thwart non genuine drives. Thanks for everyone's help!

101 REPLIES 101
userwHscUAzHhL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Also getting the same issue. my 1TB 850 EVO is saying "This drive is not supported" once I updated Magician to 5.0. 

usernZIA2OqOCt
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue.  Magician 5 was previously saying that my 850 Pro 512GB and 960 Pro 2TB were supported.  But now it does not.  Does Magician 5 auto update itself?  Maybe there is a bug in latest build.

ImpetuousRacer
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Haha, this is fantastic! My other computer has 2 drives, a 960 Pro 2TB, and a 850 Evo 2TB. I was comparing my computer to the other one to see how it should work. Well it seems like out of the blue, my computer now shows both drives as NOT SUPPORTED when they were hours ago! 

Very strange, I have no clue why it would suddenly change for no apparent reason. 

userHKti5dCd4l
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This just started happening for me as well. It was working last week, but last night I opened Magician 5 and it showed "This drive is not supported" for both my 850 Pro and 960 Evo.

4.9.7 recognizes my 850 Pro, but of course the 960 Evo isn't supported in that version.

I reinstalled Windows 10 thinking I had some kind of a software issue, but upon reinstalling -- even without connecting to the Internet -- the issue still exists.

I'm glad that it's happening for others as well and isn't a hardware issue.

ImpetuousRacer
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Went to my wife's computer, she had magician 5 in taskbar, hoevered over it and it dissapeared - like it crashed. So I reopened it. She has an 850 EVO 2 TB. Her magician now says Drive is not supported as well.

3 different computers, 4 different genuine drives, all different motherboards/chipsets, 2 of the computers it used to work on, now all not working for no apparent reason. 

user8UHVkAhvII
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same here.  Restarted the PC, which I built a little over a year ago with an 850 EVO M.2 500GB, and got a prompt to update to Magician 5.0.0.  I launched it when complete, and my drive is showing as not supported.

userHKti5dCd4l
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My guess is that it's because of the date. Perhaps the beta/preview release had a hard date set for it to stop functioning, and the developers forgot to remove the expiration date from the final release.

userkcxcwZsbuT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have exactly the same problem. 

It worked fine Saturday, now it's not working anymore. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling magician but it made no difference. 

Does anyone use the Samsung driver or just the one that installs via Windows? 

userPBMPDWcMjD
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can confirm this problem also occuring on Samsung 850 Pro w/Magician 5.0. Everything was fine and working 2 days ago, now states "this drive is not supported" when I've changed/updated nothing. Samsung please respond/fix!