cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Samsung 850 EVO "This Drive is Not Supported" with Magician 5?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi userF5N4,

Have you already tried the troubleshooting steps we mentioned previously to other users on this thread?

userIp3fp7sNZT
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So why don't you make an older version available as clearly this version 5 is so unreliable lots of people are having problems with it. Either that or add better error messaging and handling to version 5 as something is clearly wrong with it.

userF5N4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have uninstalled and reinstalled samsung magician and rebooted pc. Still ver 5.1 is not showing my samsung SSD.. Ver. 5.0 gives me no problems so I will stick with it. Also there is older versions available at www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-samsung-magician-4-5,2 (5.0 and 4.9 atleast).

I am using Gigabyte z87x-oc-force motherboard and Samsung 840 EVO is connected to Marvell 88SE9230 chip with factory firmware.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello userF5N4,

That's your problem. You are using the Marvell SATA ports. I would highly recommend switching to the primary Intel ports on your motherboard. Marvell ports are well known to cause performance and sometimes freezing issues with SSDs and sometimes can be weird with Magician. If you want to stay on the Marvell port, the only thing I can advise is to make sure the most up to date SATA controller drivers for Marvell are installed.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userF5N4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Cheers, I switched My SSD to intel z87 chipset and plugged 2xHDDs to Marvell chip and my Samsung SSD works now with version 5.1. However all my HDDs connected to Marvell chip is now not noticed by samsung magician 5.1. I dont know what you guys did brake between 5.0 and 5.1 but thanks for sharing the fix. Smiley Happy

electronicsguy
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This issue is a textbook example of how DRM fails the one person it’s “supposed” to help - genuine customers 😝

looo
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue still here.

Samsung Magician (SM) 5.0 worked OK in my Windows 7 x64 OS until i upgraded to SM 5.1. Since then  "This Drive is Not Supported" even when reinstalling SM 5.0. So it's upgrade to SM 5.1 that killed the application irreversibly.

I've made some deeper analysis an here what i've found:

SM 4.9.7, if installed, works OK, SM 5.x doesn't work no matter how to install it (clean install or upgrade from SM 4.9.7). "Refresh" button does not help as well. Turning firewall off during setup yields no result. Wireshark indicates some two-way encrypted communicating between SM 5.x and Samsung server but as it's encrypted i have no idea of what's the result.

I've got another system drive with WIndows 7 x86 and without any SM software initially. SM 5.1 installed into that system seem to work OK.

Visible difference between two SM 5.1 installations on the same hardware but in different OS ("bad" one in WIn7 x64 and "good" in Win7 x86) is configuration file(s) content. Good installation generates 2 configuration files in SM \ Config sub-directory, bad one generates only 1 file much smaller in size.

If "good" configuration files copied into "bad" installation \Config directory then "bad" SM 5.1 recognizes SSD OK, but some other functions (like "Rapid") still remain unavailable.

Taking into consideration all above I'm sure that there's software issue with SM 5.x Samsung must deal with. Tech reason of the problem is inability of SM 5.x setup procedure to create proper configuration file(s) under certain conditions.

looo
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@looo wrote:

Same issue still here.

Samsung Magician (SM) 5.0 worked OK in my Windows 7 x64 OS until i upgraded to SM 5.1. Since then  "This Drive is Not Supported" even when reinstalling SM 5.0. So it's upgrade to SM 5.1 that killed the application irreversibly.

I've made some deeper analysis an here what i've found:

SM 4.9.7, if installed, works OK, SM 5.x doesn't work no matter how to install it (clean install or upgrade from SM 4.9.7). "Refresh" button does not help as well. Turning firewall off during setup yields no result. Wireshark indicates some two-way encrypted communicating between SM 5.x and Samsung server but as it's encrypted i have no idea of what's the result.

I've got another system drive with WIndows 7 x86 and without any SM software initially. SM 5.1 installed into that system seem to work OK.

Visible difference between two SM 5.1 installations on the same hardware but in different OS ("bad" one in WIn7 x64 and "good" in Win7 x86) is configuration file(s) content. Good installation generates 2 configuration files in SM \ Config sub-directory, bad one generates only 1 file much smaller in size.

If "good" configuration files copied into "bad" installation \Config directory then "bad" SM 5.1 recognizes SSD OK, but some other functions (like "Rapid") still remain unavailable.

Taking into consideration all above I'm sure that there's software issue with SM 5.x Samsung must deal with. Tech reason of the problem is inability of SM 5.x setup procedure to create proper configuration file(s) under certain conditions.

Glad to say that i've sorted out the problem. It turned out that newly installed Magician could not properly communicate with Samsung authentication server and deactivating  firewall wasn't enough to resolve this.

I'm running "Dr.Web security space" -software that checks Internet traffic including encrypted one. When a certificate problem occur this software blocks encrypted traffic even if firewall has been set totally off. When i disabled "Check encrypted traffic" option temporarily and launched Magician communication with server was succesfully done and now Magician works OK even offline.

Interestingly, several months ago when i first installed Magician 5.0 there're no such problems at all so it seems that some certificates have expired since then resulting in the discussed problem.

looo
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

There's still a little difference in Magician functionality depending on whether Samsung server available or not.

If it is, "RAPID mode" field on the main screen offers on/off switch, otherwise - displays "Not supported" .

looo
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well,

latest Magician 5.2 release looks free of bugs described in 2 previous messages.

Thanks, Samsung!