Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
riflesux
Asteroid

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2 locked in Current read-only state/write protected

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Came home from a work trip to find that my gaming desktop won't boot into Windows. The meassage on the screen constantly prompts to insert boot media. My 970 EVO was my boot drive, and appears to have failed. I booted into a Windows install media so that I could access a command prompt, and tried to inspect the drive in diskpart. The drive is locked into Current Read-only State: Yes. I cannot clean the disk, format any partitions or volumes, everything failes because it's write protected. 

I have tried booting into recovery disks (Hiran's, Kyhi's, Windows Install media, and EasyRE) and multiple partition and recovery programs: Aomei, GParted, EaseUS Partition Master, and more, and I still cannot remove the Write Protection flag. I was able to pull an old Intel 120 GB SSD, install Windows on it, and get booted in, but still cannot do anything to my 970 EVO. All the data is still accessible on the disk, it just cannot be written to (deleted, etc). Windows Disk Management shows that the partitions are healthy, until you try to run a chkdsk, and then it tells you the disk needs to be repaired, but it also fails (from drive properties or from command line with the /f flag). I installed the Samsung Magician software, and it shows that my EVO's Drive Health is Critical, but has only had 14.4 TB Written. I cannot run any of the tests or tools on my EVO, it either says "The selected drive does not support this feature", or in the case of running a Benchmark on it, errors with "Volume access denied." I tried to update the firmware, but that even fails (current fw is 1B2QEXE7). 

I've tried to contact support, but apparently it's only available by phone M-F 9a-9p EST and by chat M-F 12p-6p EST. I'm very frustrated because everywhere you look they advertise 24/7 support, even after calling and receiving a recorded message that SSD chat support was available 24/7. I'm stuck travelling for work beginning Monday, and will have limited access to phone and internet through Thursday, so the soonest I can deal with support during their normal hours will be Friday.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2 locked in Current read-only state/write protected

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately your  drive is "toast", but it has preserved the data on the drive so you  can recover it to another drive.

As data blocks on the ssd fail a write/read operation the affected block is marked bad and a spare memory block  is mapped in it's place so the drive continues as if nothing happened.  In your case the drive has suffered enough failures to deplete the reserved spare blocks and can no longer repair itself.

"The media has been placed in read only mode" and "The available spare has fallen below the threshold"

At this point the drive firmware has locked the drive in read only mode to allow data recovery.  Be grateful it did that instead of attempting a write operation and failing in a catastrophic manner resulting in an unreadable drive.

As a retired computer tech and systems administrator my personal computer has 8 Samsung nvme drives totaling 14 TB of storage space.  3 of the drives contain individual OS's (Win & Linux) allowing recovery of a locked drive.

At least you have the opportunity to add an additional drive of your choice and recover your data.

Good luck

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Honored Contributor

Re: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2 locked in Current read-only state/write protected

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@riflesux wrote:

Came home from a work trip to find that my gaming desktop won't boot into Windows. The meassage on the screen constantly prompts to insert boot media. My 970 EVO was my boot drive, and appears to have failed. I booted into a Windows install media so that I could access a command prompt, and tried to inspect the drive in diskpart. The drive is locked into Current Read-only State: Yes. I cannot clean the disk, format any partitions or volumes, everything failes because it's write protected. 

I have tried booting into recovery disks (Hiran's, Kyhi's, Windows Install media, and EasyRE) and multiple partition and recovery programs: Aomei, GParted, EaseUS Partition Master, and more, and I still cannot remove the Write Protection flag. I was able to pull an old Intel 120 GB SSD, install Windows on it, and get booted in, but still cannot do anything to my 970 EVO. All the data is still accessible on the disk, it just cannot be written to (deleted, etc). Windows Disk Management shows that the partitions are healthy, until you try to run a chkdsk, and then it tells you the disk needs to be repaired, but it also fails (from drive properties or from command line with the /f flag). I installed the Samsung Magician software, and it shows that my EVO's Drive Health is Critical, but has only had 14.4 TB Written. I cannot run any of the tests or tools on my EVO, it either says "The selected drive does not support this feature", or in the case of running a Benchmark on it, errors with "Volume access denied." I tried to update the firmware, but that even fails (current fw is 1B2QEXE7). 

I've tried to contact support, but apparently it's only available by phone M-F 9a-9p EST and by chat M-F 12p-6p EST. I'm very frustrated because everywhere you look they advertise 24/7 support, even after calling and receiving a recorded message that SSD chat support was available 24/7. I'm stuck travelling for work beginning Monday, and will have limited access to phone and internet through Thursday, so the soonest I can deal with support during their normal hours will be Friday.

@riflesux 

I wonder if there was an update to Windows, drivers. 

Have you tried to do "attributes disk clear readonly" in diskpart?

riflesux
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Charkatak yes... it was one of the first things I tried when I first saw an error stating the drive was write protected. There's 2 separate fields in disk attributes in diskpart, the standard field, labeled as "Read-only" is set to no, the field I'd never seen before this issue is "Current Read-only State" and that's set to yes, and clearing readonly has no effect on that second field.

Even after installing Windows on a "new" boot drive (my 7 year old intel 120GB), trying to make any changes to the EVO fails (delete files/partitions, wipe drive, etc). In the new windows install environment, I'm using the latest Samsung driver, direct from the Samsung site.

If it were a Windows update or a driver, I should still be able to wipe the drive and start from scratch, but it's not allowing me to.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@riflesux wrote:

@Charkatak yes... it was one of the first things I tried when I first saw an error stating the drive was write protected. There's 2 separate fields in disk attributes in diskpart, the standard field, labeled as "Read-only" is set to no, the field I'd never seen before this issue is "Current Read-only State" and that's set to yes, and clearing readonly has no effect on that second field.

Even after installing Windows on a "new" boot drive (my 7 year old intel 120GB), trying to make any changes to the EVO fails (delete files/partitions, wipe drive, etc). In the new windows install environment, I'm using the latest Samsung driver, direct from the Samsung site.

If it were a Windows update or a driver, I should still be able to wipe the drive and start from scratch, but it's not allowing me to.

@riflesux I wonder if there is Samsung tool that was designed for these types of SSD drives, then one that works in command prompt.  

You mentioned using latest Samsung driver from their site.  The driver I am using is 02/2018 and not 2019 version.  Maybe you can try to install Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.0 instead of 3.1 and see what happens?

riflesux
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Trying to install the 3.0 driver just gives me a notice that the most recent driver is already installed. 
I'm unable to read SMART information on the drive, except that it's flagged "The media has been placed in read only mode" and "The available spare has fallen below the threshold"

I have not been able to find a Samsung tool anywhere (been googling this issue since Thursday night), and since support isn't available until Monday... Maybe I should swap to WD... they're making NVMe ssds now...

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@riflesux wrote:

Trying to install the 3.0 driver just gives me a notice that the most recent driver is already installed. 
I'm unable to read SMART information on the drive, except that it's flagged "The media has been placed in read only mode" and "The available spare has fallen below the threshold"

I have not been able to find a Samsung tool anywhere (been googling this issue since Thursday night), and since support isn't available until Monday... Maybe I should swap to WD... they're making NVMe ssds now...

@riflesux 

Aren't you able to delete the 3.1 driver in programs and features, restart device, then install 3.0 (.exe installer)?

riflesux
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ahh... I'm not used to drivers showing up in applications. I have installed the 3.0 driver, but sadly no change =(

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately your  drive is "toast", but it has preserved the data on the drive so you  can recover it to another drive.

As data blocks on the ssd fail a write/read operation the affected block is marked bad and a spare memory block  is mapped in it's place so the drive continues as if nothing happened.  In your case the drive has suffered enough failures to deplete the reserved spare blocks and can no longer repair itself.

"The media has been placed in read only mode" and "The available spare has fallen below the threshold"

At this point the drive firmware has locked the drive in read only mode to allow data recovery.  Be grateful it did that instead of attempting a write operation and failing in a catastrophic manner resulting in an unreadable drive.

As a retired computer tech and systems administrator my personal computer has 8 Samsung nvme drives totaling 14 TB of storage space.  3 of the drives contain individual OS's (Win & Linux) allowing recovery of a locked drive.

At least you have the opportunity to add an additional drive of your choice and recover your data.

Good luck

View solution in original post

riflesux
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you @ddaniel51 ! I'm marking your reply as the solution, since it may hopefully help someone out in the future. Not good news, but now I know for sure what happened. Fingers crossed that the warranty replacement process won't be as difficult as trying to get assistance in the first place.

Samsung_2yptidV
Astronaut

Re: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2 locked in Current read-only state/write prote..

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have no idea what type of community this is but I obviously went to the wrong place