Original topic:

Samsung 970 evo plus running too hot

(Topic created: 05-27-2021 10:16 PM)
userfO0qV91BFI
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have recently purchased the Samsung 970 Evo plus SSD, data migration and installation seems successful, however it is running at a high temperature at 60 degree or above, is that normal?

I have installed 3 big ventilation gaming fan in my mid tower case, ventilation should not be a problem.

current motherboard is h370 pro gaming wifi ASUS

0 Likes
5 Replies
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

You  need a good aftermarket heatsink and guaranteed airflow over it to  keep the drive cool.

Google "nvme cooling" for more info.

0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Supernova
Options
Monitors and Memory
Can you measure the temperature of what is mounted to?
0 Likes
Kayazuki
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

@userfO0qV91BFI 
My 970 EVO 2Tb NVMe M.2 just died after only 2.5y use in my Mac Pro 2013 (trash can model).
Produced Nov 2018.
When I placed it in an NVMe > USB adapter, I noticed how terribly hot it got.
Still have to measure the temperature.
Received a new 980 PRO 2TB today and I'm monitoring things now with DriveDx.
But to my surprise Black Magic Disk Speed Test reveals that it's not reading at 7000MB/s but 1400 instead, while OSX indicates Link width: 4x and Link speed 5.0GT/s.

I'm baffled... And now I'm reading here that basically everyone has the same trouble.. 😕

Expensive drive for such a bad surprise..!

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

@Kayazuki 

The 980 Pro requires PCIe Gen 4 support with 16GT/s bandwidth to read 7000MB/s.

The 1400 read and 5GT/s speed you  are reporting indicates your Mac might be doing PCIe Gen 2.

It is unfortunate that users buy  the Shiny new drive and then blame it when their computer can't support it's hardware requirements to operate at max speed.

One of the eight  NVME drives in my PCIe Gen 3 gaming computer is a 980 Pro doing 3500 read speeds which is the max PCIe Gen 3 can do.  I needed a 1TB NVME and the price was right.

0 Likes
Kayazuki
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

@ddaniel51 

Oh dang.. You're right.. Real smart that I didn't look into that first.
The Everymac website clearly states that the Mac Pro 2013 has a System Bus Speed of 5 GT/s (DMI2) and a PCIe 2.0 x4 Storage Interface...

Just interesting that it says this on Everymac:
"Specifically, it uses a custom Apple design with a PCIe 2.0 x4 interface, which is capable of a theoretical maximum of 2 GB/s."

while the System Report says:
" Link Speed: 5.0 GT/s"

But I can't complain about that..
Thanks for the wake up call ddaniel51b 🙂

0 Likes