Original topic:

Samsung Magician - CTRL + W is being disabled

(Topic created: 01-14-2024 10:36 AM)
Evocatus
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

This is happening on my Windows 11 Pro host since the last update of Samsung Magician (the SSD software): at each host restart, a popup from Samsung Magician is triggered to inform me that there's a new software version available; I close it, but afterwards all CTRL + W key combinations are disabled.. for instance it's used in most videogames on the market.

The workaround atm has been found by some users as:

1. Open Samsung Magician GUI from the system tray;

2. Close the Samsung Magician GUI.

This is a very bad bug and very disturbing for all users. You can also check this as reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/173he74/ctrlw_stopped_working_but_ctrlf4_still_works_for/

8 Replies
Babrums
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Experiencing the same issue on Windows 10: Ctrl+W stopped working after receiving a notification about a new version an hour ago. I didn't update anything manually.

Additionally, the PrtScr key is not functioning when the Samsung Magician window is active.

Also, during my investigation I had to boot into safe mode to check if my keyboard was broken, and after I quit safe mode and reloaded into regular windows mode, even though Samsung Magician didn't launch during the session, the Samsung Magician window scaling became disproportionately large. I have a display resolution of 2650x1440, and during safe mode, Windows loaded using an 800x600 resolution. Now, the Samsung Magician window occupies 90% of the screen space with excessively large text and buttons. 

glmzsemanur
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I was just about to give a hard reset to my Windows 10 because of that CTRL + W not working. In a forum I found a comment "it's probably samsung magician", I was suprised. I updated the software, right after the setup was finished, the shortcut started working again. But, the bug is still there. When samsung magician is open, it blocks the ctrl + w shortcut. Also, ALT + F4 and PrintScreen are not wroking either with samsung magician.

0 Likes
veZuk
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have exactly the same problem. Magician 8.0.1 intercepts Ctrl+W, which prevents you from working with tabs, for example in a browser. For now I have uninstalled the Magician program. Maybe they'll fix it later.

0 Likes
Sidicer
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Ctrl + Shift + R is another shortcut that latest Samsung Magician has disabled..
So currently the list is as follows:

• CTRL + W
  • ALT + F4
  • Print Screen
  • CTRL + SHIFT + R

Why is that? How is that possible ? Why Samsung magician is interfering with Windows and other application shortcuts ?! That should not be the case

khakiisu
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I initially chalked this up to a bug.  An annoying one, but an unintentional fluke.  However, with Samsung ignoring this issue for so long, it starts to raise the larger question of why are they tying into shortcuts in the first place and if there are any security implications with the data being collected.  Seems like a more detailed read through the license agreement might be in order.  I noticed they ask if you are in a GDPR country during the install, I'm curious if that affects the behavior or is this just a side effect of some sneaky data collection for people that don't have laws protecting them.

Zanshin13
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Uninstalling Magician fixed the issue for me 😆

Oleksii Vlasiuk
Astronaut
Options