cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Magician Secure Erase Error 24 on a Laptop. Any Help?

I have a Samsung 860 1TB m.2 SATA that I want to erase. I tried using the Samsung Secure Erase feature within the Samsung Magician software. I created the bootable can USB and reboot into the Secure Erase Utility. However, I cannot get past the 'Error 24' - "The Drive is in a frozen state."

The utility reommends to "unplug the SATA power cable from the SSD, wait a few seconds, and plug it in again without turning the PC power off".

Problem is, this is installed in a laptop where the m.2 is soldered directly to the motherboard. I have no way of disconnecting the power to the m.2 slot. If I completely remove the drive, wait 30 seconds, and then reinsert it, the Secure Erase software will not recognize it.

Any help?

Thanks!

Sent from my Unlocked S10+ G975U1. Hopefully better than my famously UNSUPPORTED SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 EDGE (SM-G935U).
3 REPLIES 3
Constellation

Re: Samsung Magician Secure Erase Error 24 on a Laptop. Any Help?

I am not sure how this disconnecting step works on a m.2 drive attached to a motherboard, but I can tell you that it works on 2.5" ssd drives when it was locked and wouldn't erase. I unplugged and then plugged in again while still booted into the Samsung Eras program and the program recognized the drive and did the erase. Maybe if you put the m.2 drive into an external enclosure, then you could physically unplug it by the connecting wire.

Re: Samsung Magician Secure Erase Error 24 on a Laptop. Any Help?

I actually did try something similar by putting the m.2 into a USB enclosure. Unfortunately Secure Erase will then fail to see it as a Samsung Drive. And because the m.2 slot is soldered onto the motherboard, I have no way of getting to a power or data cable. 

Thanks though!

Sent from my Unlocked S10+ G975U1. Hopefully better than my famously UNSUPPORTED SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 EDGE (SM-G935U).
Constellation

Re: Re: Samsung Magician Secure Erase Error 24 on a Laptop. Any Help?

yes that sounds correct, didn't think about the external enclosure being an issue. i had to do my 2.5 in drive in me desktop computer. sorry couldn't be more help.