Original topic:

Samsung Magician Service (MagicianSVC service) filling up Windows event logs

(Topic created: 10-08-2021 08:16 AM)
Dridd
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Apparently MagicianSVC wakes up every 2-3 seconds wanting to check status on all the SSD drives (I have five Samsung SSDs, 3 SATA based, 2 M.2 SSDs).

Appart from the sillyness of checking on all drives every 2 seconds, also every time it wakes up, it logs multiple idiotic events of  "The operation completed successfully." into the Windows Application log.
EVERY TIME.

The side-effect of this is that it turns the Windows Application Event log absolutely useless for any normal application events.. The Event log fills up with MagicianSVC events, rolls around and starts again, which makes any application events other than MagicianSVC simply vanish.

When you open the Application log all you see al the way through the log is MagicianSVC log entries showing nothing useful at all. Any other application events have been wiped out (rolled out) of the event log when MagicianSVC fills it to capacity with these dummy entries of "The operation completed successfully.",

Add to that, since MagicianSVC wants to check on all drives every 2 seconds, the CPU and machine overhead of logging these dummy "I am still wasting time" events must add considerable overhead to these disk status checks.

7 Replies
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Open Magician Settings and turn history collection off.

0 Likes
Dridd
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Dashboard history is OFF in settings. "Dashboard History" also shows as OFF on each drive.

Makes no difference. 

Even if history was turned on, logging "The operation completed successfully." multiple times every few seconds hardly seems worth it. Turning History on should log actual data to a private Magician logfile, not log worthless dummy messages into the event log, blocking any other application from showing their worthwhile log entries.

But testing it further, even more mysteriously, despite the fact that the messages are logged with source "MagicianSVC", if I DISABLE MagicianSVC in Services, the dummy log entries just keep coming. 
I tried shutting down Magician, disabling the service (MagicianSVC.exe) that supposedly delivers the dummy antries, but the Events KEEP coming.

Also checked in Task Scheduler for any calls from there, but only found the standard startup of Magician itself on user logon.

Then I completely uninstalled Samsung Magician... THAT stopped the event log from growing every few seconds.

I then downloaded a fresh copy of Magician and installed it. 
The SAME SECOND the install completion screen showed, the event logging started up again.

More experimentation.  After shutting down Magician, and again disabling MagicianSVC in Services (which claims it is NOT running), I checked the system with Sysinternals Process Explorer.

Despite everything supposedly being turned off, and history being off, there is still a process "C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung Magician\SamsungMagicianSVC.exe" running on the system. Waking up every few seconds.

If I kill that process, then the event logging stops.

But after starting Samsung Magician again, that service process comes right back again, and event logging resumes again, killing any real usability of the Application log.

The ONLY real remedy is in fixing the code for the SamsungMagicianSVC.exe service. It needs to learn not to keep logging completely insignificant, yet narsisistic, "I am still  alive" events. The application log is for applications to log events someone might want to see later. Imagine if every app running want to prove their existence by logging "I'm alive" events every few seconds. Magician alone in it's current state makes the Application Event log comletely unusable, since it forces out every significant event logged by other apps.

0 Likes
userqPhRGocaZK
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

This just started happening for me starting 10/4/2021. Event viewer is flooded with "The operation completed successfully." The only fix seems to be uninstalling?

0 Likes
Dridd
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Some narcissistic programmer thought it was worth logging every move his routine does, even when it is completely insignificant with zero value information. I'd call that a bug that needs to be fixed. 

0 Likes
user2yZX0hFMms
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Another option is to disable the MagicianSVC service in the Windows service manager

0 Likes
Dridd
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yeah... Disable the service, uninstall the software, remove Samsung drives from the system.

All (bad) options that might mask rather than fix the bug in the Samsung Magician software.

I still prefer that the software is fixed to not fill up the system with non-sense "I'm still here" messages every other second, and taught to concentrate on reporting when there is something to report.

But, as mentioned above, disabling the service does not help... 
The process C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung Magician\SamsungMagicianSVC.exe keeps running, even after you disable the service,

Timeslice
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

This is an ongoing problem with the latest (Version 7) of Samsung Magician that was also present in version 6.

The only solution is to uninstall this otherwise great utility.

Filling an event log with an insane number of "Everything OK" events is well past annoying.  It prevents diagnosing or monitoring other applications that post events to the Windows Application event log.  

How does one report this as a bug to the Samsung developers so this issue gets the attention it deserves and gets resolve?

0 Likes